Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Shtf ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/shtf-ammo-71412/)

jjfuller1 08-30-2012 02:39 AM

Shtf ammo

Just curious shat you would want on hand for emergancies. 62gr steel core or some sort of JHP self defense round? Please enlighten me

jjfuller1 08-30-2012 02:40 AM

.223 caliber..

mountainman13 08-30-2012 02:44 AM

5.56 ap and 10mm jhp

gmaster456 08-30-2012 02:46 AM

whatever works and does the job

fireguy 08-30-2012 02:56 AM

I have bought a good amount of xm193 and steel core for the AR. But after further thought soft point or hollow point is probably a better choice for a broader use. Civvies aren't bound to the Geneva Convention, and deer and other wildlife that may need to be harvested will be better taken with soft points or hollow point bullets. Same can be said for my LR-308.

For handguns, hollow points are likewise the best choice for expansion and maximum effectiveness. FMJ can suffice if that is all there is, but the best would be a good bullet like the Federal Hydroshok or Barnes critical defense.

anm2_man 08-30-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 920940)
I have bought a good amount of xm193 and steel core for the AR. But after further thought soft point or hollow point is probably a better choice for a broader use. Civvies aren't bound to the Geneva Convention, and deer and other wildlife that may need to be harvested will be better taken with soft points or hollow point bullets. Same can be said for my LR-308.

For handguns, hollow points are likewise the best choice for expansion and maximum effectiveness. FMJ can suffice if that is all there is, but the best would be a good bullet like the Federal Hydroshok or Barnes critical defense.

Absolutely correct +1 and oh by the way, if you want to put holes in a armored vehicle, .223 AP won't do it, .308 AP won't do it only .50 BMG APIT will do it.

1hole 08-30-2012 11:41 PM

I don't play Rambo games in my mind, #00 buckshot in 12 ga.

oldpapps 08-31-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 920914)
Just curious shat you would want on hand for emergancies. 62gr steel core or some sort of JHP self defense round? Please enlighten me

An open ended question. Oh, added, 'for 223'.

No one good answer, but here are some things to think about.

What weapon/weapons? An older AR or bolt with a slow twist will limit bullet weights to the light end. I have a bolt with a 1 in 14 twist that has troubles with anything over 55grs.

For what use? Harvesting game or protection. Larger game is better served with heavier bullets at higher velocities. I am one that prefers something bigger for large game but many deer have been harvested with smaller than the .223. Bad guys, don't much care, just double and triple tap till they are no longer a threat.

The AR platform is just about universal over this great land and 5.56 and or .223 ammo is around. Changing 'uppers' can change the capabilities from one extreme to the other.
Bolts are, for the most part, very accurate and handle very light lead loads (a lead pellet for the bullet). But are slow for use in an extended fire fight.

I/we are not concerned with Geneva Conventions or accords. Go with a good supply of what you weapon/s like. How many is enough and how many is too much? How long is your SHTF going to last and how likely are you to being targeted during this time?

I see you live in the Western part of the state, so you have both the good and bad. You decide which is which.

purehavoc 08-31-2012 05:17 PM

I like to say that alot of 55 FMJ and 62gr HPs would be a good stash.

m72law 08-31-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anm2_man (Post 921706)
Absolutely correct +1 and oh by the way, if you want to put holes in a armored vehicle, .223 AP won't do it, .308 AP won't do it only .50 BMG APIT will do it.

Not trying to Hi-Jack the thread but anm2_man got me thinking:eek:

Which of the two 50bmg rounds would penetrate better - Armor Piercing Incendiary or just Incendiary?

The reason i ask,I have a few of both rounds,'no APIT':( I was wondering what good is (Incendiary) if it doesnt pierce armor/concrete/engine blocks/ect...

Is Incendiarys role made for starting fires or something like that:confused: