Shtf ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Shtf ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I watch the sales,,,and even the internet sellers prices vary quite a bit from month to month. When I find a good price, then I buy whatever is a good buy. For example, recently Ammoman had .223 on sale for $.21 a round. It was imported, but it runs fine in my rifles. People say its dirty,,,,so what? Do you clean your gun when you are finished? I got 5000 rounds of 62 gr HP on that sale. I just bought a case of 9mm at 18c. When I can buy this ammo at 20c a round, I cant afford to reload it. Also, I dont even pick up the empties. My Mini 14 scatters them all over anyway, so I just leave them out there 25 ft where they fall. All my rifles will bust a grapefruit at 100 yards from the shoulder with this ammo.

For my hunting ammo, I load my own. I expect it to shoot MOA. But for street sweeping, the imported stuff works just fine. I have never had a failure to feed or problem with accuracy with imported ammo, and I have shot thousands of rounds of it.

This price works out to be about $4 a box of 20, or $10 a box of 50. You cant match that price in a local store.

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I was trying to stock pile ammo but I just keep shooting it.. I think I am addicted.. I just started reloading.. it helps but I still shoot it all

Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #13

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

If cost is the primary concern I would look hard at these 4:

1). Federal Champion from Wal-Mart.

2.) PMC

3.) Seller & Bellot

4.) Mag-Tech

All 4 are cost effective and run well. Just be advised if you reload, the brass cases used in the Federal Champion in .45 ACP come with small pistol primers, not large ones like everyone else. Seller & Bellot go crazy with primer sealer, especially on their 9 MM 115 gr. FMJ ammunition. But it's not a problem. If you shoot a lot of it you'll find it transfers off on to the bolt or slide face. Hoppes #9 on a rag removes it quick and easy.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Imo the best ammo to stock pile for shtf would be good ole 22lr. If the **** ever does really hit than normal goods will become currency, those green bills will be good for nothing but starting fires. Almost every household has a 22lr, not so good for defense but would be great to hunt small game for food.

Next on the list would be your primary long gun and side arm calibers what ever they may be for you. Usaully .223 and 9,40 or 45..

I have started stocking components like primers powder and bullets as much as ammo, this being an election year the shelves will be bare in the coming months and well into the new year.. So if you like to shoot or just pick up ammo you better be doing it now

Last edited by ktmboyz; 05-28-2012 at 03:06 PM.