Shoulder Marks?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Shoulder Marks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shoulder Marks?

Full length resizing some new Norma .222 Remington brass yesterday. I am getting a "scuff" mark around the entire shoulder at the very bottom of the neck where it meests the shoulder. The mark is uniform and is about a 1/16" wide ring. The shoulder is also bumping back more noticibly than on Remington brass, but the Remington is once fired. I also noticed the rim is slightly thinner on the Norma.

Dies are brand new Redding dies that I disassembled, cleaned out with break cleaner and lubed the inside and expander button with case lube per the manufacturer's directions. Any thoughts?

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

It's hard to guess without a pic. But my Nosler manual says that marks around the neck can be caused by over lubrication of the shoulder. I have seen this happen to my 8mm x 57 before. I don't lube the shoulder anymore. I read somewhere that you should not lube the shoulder of the case at all. Easy to try and see if it makes a difference.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.