Should you reload or not?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Should you reload or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 193 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Should you reload or not?

Whenever I'm asked if a person should reload I always have to say it depends. Do you want to save money on ammo? Would you like to learn more about ballistics? How about the satisfaction of cleanly harvesting game animals with handloaded ammo? Are you wanting more accuracy than factory ammo provides? Is your rifle or handgun chambered for hard to find cartridge? All these are considerations on whether you should reload or not. Reloading is rewarding in several areas.

Reloading is not for everybody however. If you don't shoot enough to justify reloading, are happy with the performance of factory ammo, or just buy your ammo in bulk then perhaps you shouldn't reload.

Also I don't advise using reloaded ammo for self defense. While I don't personally know for SURE that a prosecuting attorney will rip you in the aftermath of a defense related shooting when using reloaded ammo, I've heard/read enough horror stories that I don't want to take that chance.

The factories do an amazing job of producing ammo that performs very well today, and especially the "premium" loadings. However they have to load generic so that that same ammo will perform satisfactorily in ALL the firearms out there chambered for that cartridge. When you handload you're loading for your particular individual firearm only. You're working up a load tailor made for that exact rifle or handgun. Needless to say, properly painstakingly handloaded ammo WILL perform better than generic factory ammo.

In my experience, while you'll save a LOT of money per round, you won't save any money overall. What I'm saying is that while the cost per round/box will be a lot cheaper, you'll be able to shoot more. That's not a bad thing of course. You'll also gain a keener understanding of ballistics when researching reloading data for loads.

Another advantage of reloading is you can load premium or match bullets for oddball rifles. For example my .284 only has 1 factory loading (that I'm aware of)-Winchester 150 gr soft points. By reloading different weight and
construction of bullets I can transform that deer rifle into an elk rifle or
even a groundhog/coyote rifle.

With factory ammo my .284 would only group 1.5" for 100 yard groups. By careful handloading I can cut the size of those groups by at least 1/2, if not a bit better.

These are some of MY reasons for reloading.
Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Last edited by stalkingbear; 08-16-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Join Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #2

when i bought my dillon i was ready for some big savings on my ammo and just as Stalking bear said i just shot three times as much. i was loading for pistols but i found that i really enjoy shooting my riffles so im loading a lot moor for them now.
let no talents go unused
Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #3

Great post stalkingbear.
I probably havenít saved any money reloading, Iím now just breaking even, after buying the press, dies, scales, etc., etc. (and thatís been quite a few years ago).
But for me saving money is not what itís about. The satisfaction I get out of shooting a cartridge that I have carefully worked up and know will shoot well out of my particular gun is what its about, plus I enjoy the mechanics of it all, I am very slow at it, as I have found patience to be a virtue. But I find it a very relaxing hobby, and am fascinated with ballistics and how many more different calibers I want to try!
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand
Old 08-17-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
Liked 64 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm just getting started and it's guys like you, Bear, who have made me want to do it.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:10 AM   #5
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

My problem is this. All the money I save on reloading goes right back into reloading by buying more bullets and more equipment. It is easy to fill up all your space in a short amount of time. Lots of things you NEED to reload.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 AM   #6
Liked 791 Times on 553 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Stalking Bear put it well. My 1st deer rifle was a sportered GEW98 in 8x57. There was no decent ammo for it at the time. My friend Dwayne Sutten, owner of Bullseye sports set me up w/ a Lee reloading set, dies, bullets, powder and primers for less than $200.00. He had coffee cans of bullets on the lower shelves and you could buy 10 or 2000. He tossed me a box of Sierra hunter 175gr. and I was hooked. I bought more rifles/ calibers, more dies and bullets.
Now I reload for 16 rifle calibers. The great part is .308, 7.5x55 and 7.5x54 all use the same bullets and powder. .303 and 7.62x54r use the same bullets and powder. I buy Blemished bullets once a year in large quantities. The jacket color is off, but they perform great. I save a bunch that way. I averaged $9.80 per 100 bullets on my last buy. You can even get great deals from companies like Barnes. Most of the time their TXP (previously the XFB) are .75 a piece. But by buying old stock they average .35 each. So I can load my 7mm Rem Mag for .60 a round as opposed to $2.50 for factory ammo. My 9.3x57 is even better paying full price for bullets. .45 compared w/ $2.75 a round. It makes it possible to shoot/ practice with any rifle at any time. When you have a few hundred bullets of any type you may want to use for any game you may want to hunt, and a few hundred rounds of all of the bullet types, it makes things so simple. I can use my .308 HB for woodchucks w/ 120gr varmints or targets w/ 168gr match, Whitetail w/ 150 or 165gr sp., Even 180gr partitions for elk. So for 4 rifles that use .308 bullets, each can handle 4 different tasks. My BLR also shoots Barnes 150gr TXP for elk and bear. Rifles are: Howa 1500 HB.308, Browning BLR '81 .308, Swiss K31 7.5x55, Mas '36 7.5x54. Talk about diverse.
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
Likes Given: 2

I've only been reloading for a few months, I agree that it isn't the cost saving that got me started, My dad use to do it, I have all his old equipment from the 70's and it all still works great!
One nice thing I have personally noticed is how relaxing it can be to just get in the groove, Working through the steps in peace and quiet(I have 2 children 9 and 7 and 3 hounds who like a lot of attention) putting the day behind me and focusing on one thing, Its similar to garage/wrenching time.
I only reload 2 rounds, 9mm and 7.62x54R I hope to work into 30-30 and 7.62x39, But I would like to make sure I have learned the first two before I move on.
I know there are still quite a few items I would like to try out for reloading accuracy, But they will come along with knowledge, time, money and shooting.
Great post by the way.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I think those are pretty good guidelines Bear. I've been pondering that exact question for close to six months now and haven't come up with an answer.

While my interest in ballistics and need for a hobby continues to grow, I can't yet justify the cost of tools/start-up. Once again my planned range session was canceled by bad weather this week and its been over a month since I've shot (painful)
Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #9
Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Good post SB
Old 08-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
Liked 3710 Times on 2118 Posts
Likes Given: 1664

Good post Bear. I used to reload, but lately I am not getting out like I want, so factory is what I've been shooting.
Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)