Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   shotshell loading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/shotshell-loading-38392/)

JonM 02-13-2011 04:58 AM

shotshell loading

Shotguns are typically not my thing in the past. However there are some affordable trap course open to public I've discovered ireally like it.

So I shoot only 12ga. No desire or need for other calibers. I need opinions on which progressive auto indexing with automatic everything including case feeding is best and works.

I'm leaning towards dillon as I love the xl650

robocop10mm 02-14-2011 12:41 PM

I use a MEC 600 Jr. I have never used a progressive shot shell loader, but if I was in the market for one I would look hard at the Dillon.

You must plan on shooting A LOT of ammo or jjust have a butt load of $ lying around. I have loaded 2-3K on my MEC in the last year or so.

Missileman 02-14-2011 01:38 PM

Dillons are good but expensive--the MEC 9000G is a time-proven design that works well. If you want the world's best progressive shotshell reloader, there is a tie between the Ponsness Warren and the Spolar--both priced similarly to the Dillon ($1000+ range)...

spittinfire 02-14-2011 01:54 PM

I've got a Mec Jr that I've loaded sucessfully in with in the past. I've actually been thinking about getting rid of it as I just don't shoot enough 12ga and it's so cheap and plentiful that I can't really justify having it. I'd load until I ran out of supplies and then sell.
My 16ga press is a different story entirely.

JonM 02-14-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 445028)
I use a MEC 600 Jr. I have never used a progressive shot shell loader, but if I was in the market for one I would look hard at the Dillon.

You must plan on shooting A LOT of ammo or jjust have a butt load of $ lying around. I have loaded 2-3K on my MEC in the last year or so.

i like reloading and plan on shooting a lot more trap and s porting clays. shotshells are pretty pricey here. i get a sense of achievement doing well with rounds i made myself. i like the dillon stuff a lot i was mainly wondering how the sl900 compairs to others like the mec. i take it from what everyone is saying here it just comes down to features tween the mec and dillon.

its the cost of one gun for a progressive loader since im not getting a winchester SxS mod 21 i figure a progressive loader fits.

Seamaster 02-14-2011 04:28 PM

Go with the MEC9000GN, for the difference in price you can buy alot of reloading supplies. I use the MEC and when set up it works flawlessly, operator errors are a different matter.

JonM 02-14-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster (Post 445144)
Go with the MEC9000GN, for the difference in price you can buy alot of reloading supplies. I use the MEC and when set up it works flawlessly, operator errors are a different matter.

no case feeder for it :(