You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Shotgun reloads with rifle propellant.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shotgun reloads with rifle propellant.

Hi,
a new thread as requested.

I would like to know, and you can reply with "in theory", if you feel safer that way...
Please don't repeat the same "if it's not written yet by a manufacturer ..."

I am looking at using large pistol primers in the brass cases, they are made to take that and not shotgun primers (The 12 ga brass is made with black powder in mind but is smokeless grade)
And I am looking a a spherical rifle propellant, if it helps, specifically Somchem S221.
I want to use same on the normal plastics reloads, sort of if you can only carry one type of propellant in a field/survival kit, pack or vest. (Just FYI the smallest handguns will be .357mag and 45ACP)
Propellant in field will be measured in volume, SO I can get the right data for a load weight, then manufacture a measuring cup to fit that volume. Of course engraved with S221-Shotgun. Ideally the other end of the handle will have a cup for the correct lead measurement.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 15550 Times on 6481 Posts
Likes Given: 2523

Animal- welcome to the forum. We have had a few of your countrymen here from time to time- and my wife has family in the Montana area.

To your question- is it possible? Yes. Is it possible with Somchem S221? Don't know. That is a medium burning rifle powder, and not usually encountered here in the US. I would have to defer to data provided by the manufacturer of that powder.

Having said that- here in the US one of the powders that is pretty versatile, been around for years- is Unique. Used for shotguns, .357 Mag loads, .45 ACP, etc. So yes, it IS possible.

With regard to using volume measurement for shot and powder- of course that is possible. The Lee company marketed simple handload kits for rifle, pistol and shotgun that used a scoop for powder and scoop for shot.

lee-loader-deluxe-model-f.jpg

Old 05-19-2017, 02:02 PM   #3

Liked 2716 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I would suggest something like this: http://www.savedbyagun.com/files/NRA%20Reloading%20Class.pdf

Carl Sagan

Old 05-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #4

Liked 1102 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 1560

Some of the fast handgun/shotgun powders work in both cases.
I would have to think about it to name them. Some here are up on it.
But Rifle Powders are too slow. Not sure what the result would be.
However, four drams of H4831would make one heck of a bang I think or just spray a lot of unburned powder on the ground. Probably blow it up.
Consult your manuals or a reloading guide it will fill you in on particulars.
Don't do it.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

Thank you for your answers.
c3shooper
I'll google the kit for a part no. Maybe I can get a local dealer to order me one.
I have decide to rather use Somchem S121 (http://www.somchemreload.com/propellants/s121)
What type of Unique?
I also would like to say the slow burning was what I want, with the unburnt/burnt powder exiting. I would like it better if Pyrodex was available. then it is a no-brainer. But to get smokeyness to exit with smokeless powder is a conundrum. Yes the shotgun is modern CBC pump.

Chainfire
Thanks, but I am on the Southern side of Africa, +- 870miles from the tip.
Looks very informative though.

http://www.somchemreload.com/propellants

Old 05-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 15550 Times on 6481 Posts
Likes Given: 2523

Animal- Unique is a brand specific name for a smokeless powder made by Alliant. There are others- Bullseye, Green Dot, Red Dot, etc that the name is the full name of the product.

unique.jpg