Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Shotgun reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Shotgun reloading

I've been getting into shooting skeet lately and I've been considering getting a reloader but I dont really know where to start. I shoot a 20 gauge mostly and I want to reload that mainly so what is a good starting reloader and how hard is it to find what you need to reload.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

I started with a Mec 600 jr it was cheep and easy to use. I still have it and use it. Shot , wads , primers should still be readily available. Power may be harder to find because it can be used in pistol shells to.

RRA Predator Pursuit 20"
RRA Entry Tactical
G21SF,G23,G27
10/22, MKII

Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2689 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I have a MEC 600 Jr for 12 ga and a Lee for 20 ga. The MEC is MUCH nicer, but the Lee does turn out some good ammo. I found the MEC used for $40 at the LGS about 20 years ago. If you are loading a few hundred rounds a year the Lee will suffice.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 AM   #4

I've looked at some MEC ones at gun shows and i would like to have the kind that turns with every press and rotates so you don't have to move the shell

Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #5

Liked 128 Times on 98 Posts

I have had a Lyman, a Ponsness-Warren, a Lee, and a MEC. I still have a MEC for 12, and a Lee for 20. Get a good shotshell reloading book and start cooking !
When I loaded lots of the really heavy Blue Dot loads I used to use a powder measure and would adjust the MEC Universal charge bar to get all the big shot I was allowed. It was a bit tedious, but it made for some excellent loads.
You cannot save as much as you used to, versus the cheapie loads, but you can save a lot versus the good target stuff and produce equal quality loads.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #6

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Start with a quality loading manual and decide on the load or loads to start off with. specific primer/hull/wad/powder combination will be specified. Those will be the components you want to concentrate on and do NOT substitute.
I'll second the vote for a mec 600 jr to start off with. simple to operate, and loads one shell at a time to help minimize confusion for beginners. The mec guide will show which power bushings to use for specific charges of the chosen powder and generally have a fixed weight shot charge. Bars that are adjustable for both powder and shot weight are available too but i've always found them more trouble than they are worth. The mec should be trouble free for years. (as an example i've used an old 600 jr for +/- 45 years now)

After you get some experience one of the progressive presses are much faster but more prone to errors. I also use a 366 by hornaday 366, and while it does turn out quality ammo its a bit touchy to adjust and operate. Settings are different between brands of hulls, say gold medals vs AA's for example, and if you mis que either the powder or shot valves (gates?) you can easily dump a measure of powder or shot all over the loading bench or end up with a round lacking one or the other. I point this out simply because a beginner at reloading has enough on his plate getting it all right to begin with so simplicity is best.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 AM   #7

Thanks for all the info guys I think I'll probably look into a MEC 600 jr I've seen some MEC booths at gun shows but I didn't see any prices what is a good price for one of the MEC 600 jr's