Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Shortage on .30-06 shells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Shortage on .30-06 shells

Went to the range this week to sight in my model 700 for opening day of deer season, which starts on the 10th and could not find one box of .30-06 shells. I have not had a prob finding rifle ammo threw this whole strange ammo shortage had plenty of times where I couldn’t find hand gun ammo but there has always been rifle ammo. Now the day I have a reason to get the rifle out other then just for fun there seems to be handgun ammo but could not find any rifle ammo at any of the local shops.
Anybody else have trouble finding shells for hunting season. I sure do miss the days when ever I wanted to shoot or hunt i could just swing into the local guns shop or hell even Wal-mart on the way and they had what ever I needed right there on the shelf.

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I can only suggest that if you think it's limited to .30-06 you don't see much of the larger picture since the Obama effect kicked in a year ago.

Last edited by 1hole; 09-30-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go to walmart every morning at 700 am and eventually you will find some ammunition for 30-06

Old 10-02-2009, 02:28 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My local Cabella's has so much ammo they are stacking it everywhere. All regular hunting calibers (243, 270, 30-06, 7 mm mag, 300 win mag, etc) were very abundant. The only thing I noticed they were low on was 9mm and 380 auto. Pallets of shotgun shells in stock too. Give them a try if you have one close. The local Bass Pro was same way, as well as most of the local shops.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #5

Default Nowq you know

1. What it is going to be like with bans, taxes and rstrictions and
2. why I hand load.

Wish you were close as we would share.

Laus Deo
overbore

Old 10-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Couldn't help myself.

There is lots of 30-06.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #7

Default My Count:

Tracer, ball, ball, tracer. Not a bad pattern. Thx

Laus Deo
overbore

Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #8

Hi Overbore. That's the way they loaded WW2 30 Cal Machine gun belts. I believe every 5th round a tracer. With the metal links, it pretty well dates Milsurp ammo that is mostly all gone. The CMP had a supply claimed to be enough for 12 years or more. Gone about two years back. Probably hoarded and resold. In fact I bought what I could afford of both the Greek and a smaller supply of USA stuff. A second shipment thought to supply all needs, doubled in price, and I think it is all gone except for mixed corrosive US stuff. Be aware that 30-06 is no longer used by any major country, so when the milsurp is gone, it will not be made in quanities for military use. It will be strictly new manufactured by majors, with some loaded to Milsurp specs, and some for sporting. A whole bunch of M-1 Garands have been sold to civilians who shoot them. So there will always be a demand to keep them from being obsolete.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Well I'm Just about out of the old Lake city 30-06 ball ammo. My ANM2 really likes that ammo. But I do have a bunch of HXP. It shoots ok in my M2, but it hits harder (you can feel it when you shoot it) than the Lake city stuff. I guess I'll find out how many parts I'll have to replace with the HXP ammo.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #10

Not sure what ANM-2 is, but if a Garand in any form it will be OK, as all the Milsurp ammo is tested to NATO specs. If in doubt change your gas plug to an adjustable one. Higher pressured or incorrect powder curve usually affects the op rod and bolt lugs. The Greek stuff is magnetic bullets, so perhaps seals better in some rifles, but may feel has more pop to it. Don't notice it as much as with bolt run 03s or 1917s. Guess somewhere in the 3K range left, and will save it for a rainy day, and do reloads. Majority is Greek with about four cans of LC. Last bought was Greek in banderleers in 30 Cal. GI cans. Others in sealed tins. Got to be hoardes of the stuff out there in private ownership!