Shooting cast lead reloads with issues
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Shooting cast lead reloads with issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Shooting cast lead reloads with issues

I have been trying to get into the reloading scene being I am no longer allowed to play with my explosives (retired). Started loading some 9mm rounds using a Lyman turret press and Lee dies (factory crimp). I am using IMR SR4756 (4.5 gr) and 125 grain round nose lead. My issue is when I fire them through my Tokarov I can shoot 15 to 19 rounds and then my weapon will not go into battery. I know it is probably a lead issue but does anyone know what else I can do to help this along?

Last edited by ETORDIE; 07-23-2013 at 11:41 PM.
johnr1943 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Not a reloader myself, but you'll probably be asked what your alloying the lead with.

And is this a 9mm gun, or the 7.62X? that shoots at velocities almost on par with a .357 mag?

Edit: never mind, you said "rounds".

Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETORDIE View Post
I have been trying to get into the reloading scene being I am no longer allowed to play with my explosives (retired). Started loading some 9mm rounds using a Lyman turret press and Lee dies (factory crimp). I am using IMR SR4756 (4.5 gr) and 125 grain round nose lead. My issue is when I fire them through my Tokarov I can shoot 15 to 19 rounds and then my weapon will not go into battery. I know it is probably a lead issue but does anyone know what else I can do to help this along?
Hot barrel and lead don't play well together. A friend almost ruined a new M&P Shield (9mm also) with lead reloads. IIRC semi-autos work better with jacketed ammo.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #4

These bullets were purchased cast and lubed. I have since purchased some plated bullets, which brings me to another question. is there a difference in jacketed and plated rounds when reloading?

Last edited by ETORDIE; 07-23-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: repeat post

Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #5

I had originally purchased the bullets pre-lubed from proofmark so I am unsure of the alloy content. I have since purchased plated bullets to try which I will be shooting in the morning. that also brings me to another question. Is there a difference in jacketed and plated when you are reloading? sorry for the repeats, I'm a rookie to this forum thing.

2013-07-23-19.34.26.jpg  

Last edited by ETORDIE; 07-23-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #6

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

I shoot lead in .380, 9mm, .40 and 45acp with no issues at all. I often load them pretty hot too.

If your gun is not going into battery I would be looking at the way you are expanding/belling the mouth of the case. You should open it up just enough to be able to start a bullet. You also need to make sure that the bullet is in the case nice and straight before seating it. And then you need to make sure that you crimp only just enough to remove the bell.

When you are done with a few rounds disassemble your gun. Take the barrel over to your bench and test fit each round. They should slide easily into the chamber. They should go all they way in without resistance. If they don't you are not doing something right.

I have seen where a bullet was put in the case not perfectly straight. It deformed the side of the case just enough that the case would not chamber properly. I am betting you are looking at something like this. It may not be that 15 rounds into shooting you developed a problem with your gun. But that you had 14 good straight bullets before you found a bad one. If you are not looking for this problem you may not see it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I shoot lead in .380, 9mm, .40 and 45acp with no issues at all. I often load them pretty hot too.

If your gun is not going into battery I would be looking at the way you are expanding/belling the mouth of the case. You should open it up just enough to be able to start a bullet. You also need to make sure that the bullet is in the case nice and straight before seating it. And then you need to make sure that you crimp only just enough to remove the bell.

When you are done with a few rounds disassemble your gun. Take the barrel over to your bench and test fit each round. They should slide easily into the chamber. They should go all they way in without resistance. If they don't you are not doing something right.

I have seen where a bullet was put in the case not perfectly straight. It deformed the side of the case just enough that the case would not chamber properly. I am betting you are looking at something like this. It may not be that 15 rounds into shooting you developed a problem with your gun. But that you had 14 good straight bullets before you found a bad one. If you are not looking for this problem you may not see it.
Thanks for the reply! I removed that round and tried to chamber several more with nothing going into battery. I cleaned my weapon and then it seemed to work again but with the same results after 15 to 19 rounds.
When you load lead do you have to clean it again? I did notice small slivers of lead around the mouth of the casing which I cleaned off.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #8

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

If you have small slivers of lead on the outside of the case that is your problem. You are probably not expanding your brass enough. You are shaving a tiny amount of lead as you seat the bullet. I have done that myself when I was first getting started. As far as cleaning, I clean after shooting lead about as often as shooting jacketed ammo. I can shoot an IDPA match with over 100 rounds down range without any trouble at all. I do sometimes get a little lead build up in my barrel. But nothing to worry about. Take a copper "Chore Boy" pot scrubber from K-Mart. Cut it into squares. Wrap it around a regular cleaning brush. Run it through the barrel real fast for about 30 seconds. Clean as new! Don't worry about scratching the barrel. It is made to have copper coated bullet flying 1000 fps out of it. You couldn't scratch it with a Chore Boy if you tried.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8836 Times on 3824 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Rick nailed it. Auto pistol cartridges headspace off the mouth of the case. You are scraping lead off the sides of the bullet, and it piles up on the case rim.

RE: load data for plated bullets- when all else fails, read instructions.

From Berry's Bullets website:

Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

did you deburr the case mouths, inside and out, the first time that they were reloaded? that muist be done, albeit very lightly. if you over do this, the cases will split lengthwise in a very few reloadings. but if you don't do it, you get your problem. It does not need to be done more than the once.