Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Shiney Brass (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/shiney-brass-57873/)

SmokyMtnHiker 02-16-2012 06:08 PM

Shiney Brass

How do you get reloading brass to shine like gold? A wet chemical soak? A very long tumble? Or a combination of both?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

mtbfarms 02-16-2012 06:19 PM

I use flitz brass poilsh and corn cob media and let tumble for a few hrs and usually comes out like new.

Axxe55 02-16-2012 07:03 PM

pretty much the same, a few hours in the tumbler with corn cob media. check out MidwayUSA, they are offering the sonic cleaners now and i have heard many good things about them.

robocop10mm 02-17-2012 06:04 AM

As long as the brass is not black to begin with, vibratory cleaner/tumbler and one of several chemical additives like Flitz, Iosso, Midway, Lyman, etc works quite well.

MPsteelshooter87 02-18-2012 03:03 AM

Are you guys putting the polish right in with the media or how are you useing it? Ive never used a polish.

csaw44 02-18-2012 03:14 AM

I use the Flitz and simply add a small amount to the corn cob media for a good shine.

Vikingdad 02-18-2012 03:41 AM

Yeah, a few hours and not overnight. Don't start the tumbler and forget to turn it off before bedtime. Dull finish in the morning.

locutus 02-19-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 712438)
Yeah, a few hours and not overnight. Don't start the tumbler and forget to turn it off before bedtime. Dull finish in the morning.

I use a rotary tumbler with warm water and liquid Tide. 20 minutes to wash, thorougly rinse, and dry in oven at 180 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

About 1 tablespoon of Tide, and warm not hot, water.

1hole 02-20-2012 12:27 AM

Shiney cases mean nothing to perfomance and they start to oxidize the moment we take them out of the tumbler so there is NO ballistic advantage and precious little glitter advantage. Most reloaders get over the noob fasination with meaningless glitz pretty quickly.

Axxe55 02-20-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1hole (Post 714395)
Shiney cases mean nothing to perfomance and they start to oxidize the moment we take them out of the tumbler so there is NO ballistic advantage and precious little glitter advantage. Most reloaders get over the noob fasination with meaningless glitz pretty quickly.

i don't clean cases for any type of ballistic advantage, and i'm pretty sure most other reloaders don't either. some cases get ejected on to the ground, they get dirt on them, sometimes they get carbon buildup from being fired. i clean them so that most of the dirt and residue is removed from them and so that i can inspect them for damage, cracks, and splitting, any defects that could cause potential problems. a lot of times these defects show up easier when they are clean. also clean cases make your dies work easier and last longer by not scratching up the insides with dirt and foreign material.