Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > sellier & bellot 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default sellier & bellot 9mm

I purchased 500 rounds of Sellier and Bellot 9mm FMJ at a gun show in January for what I deemed a good deal (50 rd boxes for $5 a box). Having never purchased this ammo before (i was looking for deals on ammo before 1/20/09) I've got a few questions.

1) I noticed the primer seems to have some kind of red laquor (sp??) on it. Is this the norm for Sellier and Bellot?

2) From talking with several of the operators at my local shooting range I was told that the 'brass' is actually brass coated steel. They went on to tell me that this could greatly damage my pistol due to steel being unforgiving in the barrel. Damage to the point of a kB!

Is there any truth to this, or are they just blowing smoke?

I've got a Glock, or as JD would say, a plastic wonder pistol.

Thanks for the input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #2

So far I've shot about 600 rounds of S&B 9mm "Range Safe" FMJ through my Kahr CW9 without any FTF or FTE. The ammo is electroplated brass on steel case. As I said zero problems. Oh, and mine also has the red sealant on the primer, which I take it is a precautionary seal to prevent moisture, oil, etc., from penetrating the primer.

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I fired some of it a couple of years ago, I won't buy that (IMO) junk again. It was more like a shotgun pattern than groups. Might as well have been throwing a hand full of corn through a fence.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 AM   #4

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Sealed primers (and neck to bullet) not only offer a high level of waterproofing, but also provide protection against primer deactivation by solvents and lubricants. Penetrating lubricants can creep through incredibly small openings. Primers that are compromised will not ignite when struck.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-04-2009, 04:11 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I figured the red was a sealant of sorts, so good to have that verified..

any input to the kB! due to the steel-brass combo instead of 100% brass?

Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

In the mid 90's I shot many thousands of rds of S&B 9mm. My cost on it at the time was $3 per 50, but it came in 25rd boxes. Aguila 9mm was almost $7 per 50, so the S&B got used a lot.

S&B was brass cased, with steel jacketed bullets. I still have a few thousand rds of .380 and .32ACP, and they are brass cased, too.

It shoots fine, but was not a hot load. Very mild, and accuracy was excellent. Fun to shoot.

The cases reloaded several times with no issue.

It ran fine through everything I tried it in. Pistols and carbines.