Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Self defense round or standard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
If you carry fmj then you are limiting the potential of the gun. You can poke nice clean .40 holes in an attacker. If you use HP rounds in a 9 mm you could start with a .355 entrance followed by an increasing diameter wound channel made by a bullet that expands to .65 to .70 cal, and uses more of its energy inside the target instead of outside the target.

Maybe that doesn't matter to some folks but since I consider most non magnum pistol rounds to be pretty marginal for counting in to stop someone quickly at all, I choose hollow points. Any edge is an improvement.
Thanks for the input I should get some defense rounds for my .40. I do have them for my 9mm, i bought some Winchester PDX1 rounds.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20073 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Fathead, this is my opinion on SD/HD ammo for a pistol. most any of the name brand makers make good SD ammo in the JHP design, right now mine happens to be Hornady XTP ammo, and i also reload using Hornady XTP bullets in my reloads. thing is i concern myself with primarily is reliability first. i want ammo that will function everytime with not problems. the best expanding man stopper bullet is useless if it doesn't feed in your pistol. try something out and if it hits accurately and functions well in your pistol, then thats the one to use. most pistols will feed most ammo these days, but if you find one that doesn't do well, then pass it up. and JHP is much better than FMJ bullets for SD ammo. use the FMJ ammo for practice.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #13

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
Fathead, this is my opinion on SD/HD ammo for a pistol. most any of the name brand makers make good SD ammo in the JHP design, right now mine happens to be Hornady XTP ammo, and i also reload using Hornady XTP bullets in my reloads. thing is i concern myself with primarily is reliability first. i want ammo that will function everytime with not problems. the best expanding man stopper bullet is useless if it doesn't feed in your pistol. try something out and if it hits accurately and functions well in your pistol, then thats the one to use. most pistols will feed most ammo these days, but if you find one that doesn't do well, then pass it up. and JHP is much better than FMJ bullets for SD ammo. use the FMJ ammo for practice.
Cool, thanks. I always wonder what the big deal was. I looked at it if I get shot I'm not going to keep coming at you, so why get the extra power. So I'm going to buy some and try out different brands like you said.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #14

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

230gr fmj .45 ACP.
Like someone already mentioned, people have this strange aversion to loud noises+ pain.
I can hit what I'm aiming at. If 7 don't ward off a two legged attacker, I've got 7 more. If that don't cut it, I have bigger problems.
And I fully expect only a 50% hit rate AT THE BEST in a true self defense situation. Yet I'm still confident. Why? 4 years Marine Corps Infantry. Been there, done that, and not against some pansy ass little thug who was just looking for an easy target either, but against actual warriors who wanted to see me and my friends dead.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #15

Liked 1977 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Seen people shot with FMJ .38, 9mm, .45. and HP 9mm, .357, .380, and .45.

I'll choose HPs. Even the .45 does very little damage in FMJ form, compared to most HPs. Pinky sized entrace and exits with patients still pretty energetic and some walking.

I've lost a lot of faith in handguns for stopping folks reliably and efficiently.

Good website, if anyone is interested in reading detailed studies on wound ballistics and what ammo really has to do to reliably stop an attacker. Lot's of good links and articles.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/wound.htm

Old 07-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #16

Just after my dad & I had gotten our concealed permits & started carrying he was approached in a parking lot by an armed guy. My dad grabbed his 9mm & aimed it at the guy thru his closed car window. He had not time or inclination to roll down the window & the guy walked back to the car where his four acomplises were & my dad left the parking lot. 5 minutes later several cop cars arrived just outside of the parking lot & took the 5 illegal alliens out of their car after one of them had shot & robbed a guy in the lot where my dad had been. All 5 were armed & my dad was thankfull he had FMJs in his pistol.
We didn't think HPs or Glassers would have penetrated his side window had the guy continued to advance. I havn't tested HPs on auto glass, but I did help my Bro-in-law test Glasser slugs on windshields. He's the armorer for his city PD & was charged with finding a bullet that will not penetrate a car windshield. Now all that city's (Sandy City, Utah) officers cary 45ACP pistols with Glasser slugs.
I have a different opinion than his city's leaders as far as if I want bullets to penetrate glass or not.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #17

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Not sure? A pellet gun will penetrate a car window. I know, I was a 6 year old idiot at one point in time.