Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Self defense round or standard (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/self-defense-round-standard-67826/)

Fathead00 07-07-2012 05:51 PM

Self defense round or standard

Does it really matter what round you are carrying? Just looking for opinions.

W. C. Quantrill 07-07-2012 06:14 PM

Is a round cleaning patch better than a square cleaning patch? The important thing in my mind, in my guns, is a load that I can control and that I can put into the intended target accurately. A wadcutter that hits where you intend for it to, is way better than the gee whiz magnum that recoils so bad you miss, by my way of thinking.

People seem to have this aversion to pain. Loud noises and hurt seems to make them want to leave the area.

willfully armed 07-07-2012 07:02 PM

You could use a pair of vise grips to tighten the lugnuts on your car ... but the 3/4 deepwell socket was made for it.

This question is pretty old

dragunovsks 07-07-2012 07:28 PM

Yea its an old one...my opinion is not really. Yes hollow points or soft points will do more damage to a flesh and bone target but putting a fmj through a bg's hydraulics (heart) wont matter much. I have both hp and fmj in my carry weapon.

Dillinger 07-07-2012 07:34 PM

Personally I carry HP +P Rangers in the summer and alternate HP with Ball in the winter when there is more clothing layers to worry about.

Most folks I know and shoot with do the same thing.

As mentioned the best round is one that you can put on target reliably but assuming all things are equal I don't want a FMJ or Ball round punching right through someone who only has a T-shirt on during an 80 degree day. ;)

JD

W. C. Quantrill 07-07-2012 07:40 PM

I load 255 Keiths in my .45ACP, and I load 275 Keiths in my .45 Colt, and they serve the purpose for everything. I have not shot a person with the 255's, so I cannot comment on that, but I do know what they will do on hog carcasses. The 275's will shoot end for end of a large Whitetail at 75 yards. At closer range the hydraulic cavity is large on both rounds.

Donn 07-07-2012 07:44 PM

Granted, it's a well worn subject, but for those who've just tuned in it might not be. 00, you didn't say what you carried. If you're like most of us, it's likely a 9mm or .40 S&W, in which case over-penetration and thru & thru wounds are a real concern if you load FMJ. JHP or frangibles are a better option in close quarters.

opaww 07-07-2012 07:52 PM

I carry a snub-nose .38 spl with 125 gr Hp's in the summer, and either my High-power with 124 gr round nose, or my .40 S&W with 180 gr flat nose in the winter. I believe in shot placement and proper penetration

Fathead00 07-07-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donn
Granted, it's a well worn subject, but for those who've just tuned in it might not be. 00, you didn't say what you carried. If you're like most of us, it's likely a 9mm or .40 S&W, in which case over-penetration and thru & thru wounds are a real concern if you load FMJ. JHP or frangibles are a better option in close quarters.

Yes I carry a G35 .40 cal with standard Federal FMJs.

SSGN_Doc 07-08-2012 01:05 AM

If you carry fmj then you are limiting the potential of the gun. You can poke nice clean .40 holes in an attacker. If you use HP rounds in a 9 mm you could start with a .355 entrance followed by an increasing diameter wound channel made by a bullet that expands to .65 to .70 cal, and uses more of its energy inside the target instead of outside the target.

Maybe that doesn't matter to some folks but since I consider most non magnum pistol rounds to be pretty marginal for counting in to stop someone quickly at all, I choose hollow points. Any edge is an improvement.