Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > seating issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default seating issues

I have been reloading for about a year with little to no issues, however this past weekend I have ran into a problem that has me almost bald.

I bought some tracer bullets and decided to put them together the other day, I thought everything was going smooth until I looked in my bag of finished rounds and saw powder. My first thought was I missed a primer, until I saw one of the rounds barely had the bullet sticking out of the case. I got to checking and out of 158 rnds, 63 of them the bullet would either spin in the case or could be pushed into the case with very little effort. I measured the bullets and they measure correctly. I cant measure the neck because my calipers are too large to accurately do this. My thought is that my die is messed up possibly. Im currently out of bullets for plinking and hunting so couldnt check the brass with other bullets.

My question is what are your thoughts as to my issue? Thanks

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #2

Get a 0-1" micrometer for your needs like this. I had some issues recently with 40 s&w that I resolved with close measurement.

They are on ebay all the time .. Not too costly. I probably have one il sell you for cheap.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #3

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not disagreeing with logan but don't cheap out on measuring tools. I've used everything(calipers, mics, dial indicators, dial bore gauges...) from the cheap northern tool special to ones that run several hundred a piece and there is a difference.
You don't have to break the bank but spend a little and get a decent tool.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #4

Liked 2251 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 153

If your dies have never done anything like this before, look at the bullets. Mil-surp pulled bullets are likely the cause. You may need to adjust your crimp die to each case/bullet.

Using even "good" calipers to measure down to the .001 level is asking a bit much of them. Micrometer will likely tell you a different story.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It may be time to anneal the brass. If it's been reloaded a few times it could have lost its tension keeping it from holding the bullet tight enough. It could also be the quality of the brass.

The Art and Science of Annealing

I agree with the others on measuring tools, spend a little more to get a fairly decent set, the stuff from Fowler and SPI aren't bad, but I really like my Brown & Sharpe and you can really tell a difference when using some of the cheaper tools. I prefer the dial calipers and vernier micrometers, but there are a lot of digital pieces that will work too.

If you check e-Bay you can sometimes find a good deal on some used measuring tools from Starrett, Mitutoyo and Brown & Sharpe. You may want to invest in a ball micrometer to measure the case neck thickness.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #6

Liked 2251 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Thanks Eric. I was going to bring that up also. Coffee had not kicked in yet.

Non anealed brass will lose its "springyness" and can give problems like this. I aneal all rifle cases every loading (except 5.56/.223)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #7

Issue had been resolved. It was the die, it was way out of adjustment. I guess I should have looked at it closer before posting. It appeared fine from the view that I had of it in station 1 but when I moved it to check it was not. Thanks guys. I believe a good set of micrometers is the next investment.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 01-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
Issue had been resolved. It was the die, it was way out of adjustment. I guess I should have looked at it closer before posting. It appeared fine from the view that I had of it in station 1 but when I moved it to check it was not. Thanks guys. I believe a good set of micrometers is the next investment.
Well heck!! (censored)

Anyway I use Mitutoyo model 103's. They are accurate to .0001". The only time I use a dial caliper is to get a measurement within .005".

Old 01-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #9

You want to get the tool that measures bullet seating depth from the Ojive of the bullet. Hornady makes one for about $35.00.
Bullet tips vary too much to get an accurate measurement from.

If the bullets are going into a semi auto of a rifle with a magazine, get the Lee Factory Crimp dies. They crimp the round like the factory crimps their loads. Use the least amount of crimp necessary, too much crimp can hurt accuracy.
The lee dies really hold the bullet well. A case with a compressed load can also push a bullet out of the case a little, especially if the case needs aneiling.
It's the only lee tool I'll use because it works, other than the crimp dies, good equipment will outlast you and give the most accurate loads. Lee just does not make the mark. I've been reloading for 30 years and tried a lot of Lee equipment. If on a budget and accuracy is not really important, Lee is fine, but if you want the best accuracy, get quality equipment, Hornady, RCBS or reloading equipment from Sinclair Inc.

John K