saving money with reloading - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > saving money with reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePete View Post
Right now .223 and 9mm may not be the best to reload, as ammo is fairly cheap. .223 for a bolt action may be reloaded to what you require in accuracy.
I beg to differ on this right now. For standard Wolf, 200/1k is the low point in .223. I can reload it for far less than that, and have a better shooting cartridge as well. The normal point is close to $400 or over, and match is even higher than that. I reload my match stuff for 1/3 of what it costs commercially.

For 9mm, I am reloading for half of what it costs to buy the WWB stuff, slightly more if I use FMJ.

Yes, it is a fun and addicting aspect of the hobby.

-Bidah

-Bidah

Old 12-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidah View Post
I beg to differ on this right now. For standard Wolf, 200/1k is the low point in .223. I can reload it for far less than that, and have a better shooting cartridge as well. The normal point is close to $400 or over, and match is even higher than that. I reload my match stuff for 1/3 of what it costs commercially.

For 9mm, I am reloading for half of what it costs to buy the WWB stuff, slightly more if I use FMJ.

Yes, it is a fun and addicting aspect of the hobby.

-Bidah
Up here it's cheaper to buy 9 and 223 at this time.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I started reloading back in 1952. Each year since then I have had some money left for hunting ,fishing,and shooting. By reloading I could find accurate loads for my varmint and big game rifles at a cost less than purchasing factory ammo. For the rifles I could match the bullet type and weight to the animal hunted. I could not have afforded trap shooting if I had not reloaded shot shells. Learning how to reload as a teen ager, it has ben a life long hobby that has not saved me any money but I got to shoot a lot more than if I had to purchase factory ammo.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When you start reloading you will take your relationship with firearms to the "next level." You will discover what makes powder fast or slow burning, different manufactoring of bullets, and at what price is accuracy achieved.It's an activity thats not appropiate for all as it takes time and self organization. Though I find it relaxing it is not a casual activity with checking and double checking the norm. The time I spend reading about it is the same as I spend in the actual reloading if not more.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:36 PM   #15

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Just a couple of costs. For .223, and assuming you already have the brass, primers will cost $.025/ round, Powder will cost about $.084 / round, and a 55grn FMJ projectile is around $.06 / round. This totals to about $.17 per round. You would be hard pressed finding factory loads for that price. Here is a neat calculator that you can use to calculate the costs: http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

Old 05-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #16

I Tend To Buy In Bulk When On Sale Not As Needed And With The Cost Of Ammo Lately, I Save Significantly. Reload To Factory Cost Averages Around 70% For Target Grade Components. For Precision It's Best To Buy Loaded Ammo Online.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #17

In consideration of the fact that reloading - and NOT shooting - has become my first and foremost pastime, I don't think that I've saved very much money, at all, over the past 30 years. Whatever I might have saved on the purchase of new ammunition, I am sure I have spent on that entire room full of reloading equipment I have, also, ended up with.

This is (or was) especially true because Wal-Mart pushes all sorts of really cheap ammo deals out the front door. When 45 acp ammo was selling for well under $10.00 a box what am I saving by: cleaning, sorting, bringing in the components, setting up, and reloading a thousand rounds? Maybe, if the price of commercial ammo (like gasoline) continues to climb to insane heights I'll change my mind; but, right now, I'm still running Blazers, and WWB for daily practice; but, like I said, this could change.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:51 AM   #18

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I do not include the cost of brass in my reloads because if you are not reloading then you only shoot them once. By reloading that cost is born on the first loading only for me.

It saves money but you might never see it. If you are like me I love gadgets. The money I save ends up going right back into buying more gadgets for my reloading bench. My wife used to get mad when 2000 bullets showed up on the door step. But after I worked the figures and showed just how cheap I was shooting she said oh ok now she does not get that mad at me for reloading stuff.

My 45acp loads are dirt cheap.
Bullet: 200gr Rainer .11
Powder Hodgdon Titegroup: .01
Primer: Winchester LRP .02

Loaded ammo for .14 a round

At midway USA 500 WWB for $285.99/500 = .57 per round. that is a .43 savings per round.

For my 223
Bullet 50gr V-Max: .16
Powder w748 25.5gr: .07
Primer CCI BR4: .03

Total: .26 per round

Hornady Varmint 55gr or 40gr V-max .88 that is a saving of .62 per round.

If that is not saving I am not sure what it. Like I said though I turn all mine back into the reloading bench. on handtools and relaoding gadgets.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #19

I forgot to add that you will never, maybe rarely, save money because you will shoot more.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #20

Before prices started to rise I sat down and figured this out for the same question at another gun forum .

I figured I could load my 45 acp's for less than half what I could even get Winchester White Box 230 gr loads at Walmart .

Where you really save is time and now even Money for gasoline , Time waiting to be sold your ammo at Walmart "Which can be insane at times" gas to drive to there unless it's on your way to the range .

Once you get comfortable with a load and it feeds well in your gun you can load hundreds or thousands of rounds .

When the urge to go shooting hits you you just load up the car with guns and gear and go have at it without wondering what the price of ammo is going to cost you for that trip .

It makes it easier to tell the wife you spent $200-400 all in one shot than to tell her you spent $100 6-7 times a year "Or more figuring in gas nowadays" .

Look at it this simple way a 1 LB container of powder = 7,000 grains , with the correct powder say Winchester 231 even with max or near maximum loads for certain bullets in certain calibers you will get 1,000 rounds of ammo out of that 1 lb of powder . 38 special covered , 9mm , 40S&W , 45 acp and even the 357 magnum can all be safely and accurately loaded with this powder and even develop max loads with many if not all bullet weights for those calibers .

With my favorite load for 45 acp I use 5.3 grains of 231 at a cost of 1.5 cents each if the pound of powder cost me $20 or 75 cents for a box of 50 rounds . If premium defensive ammo is your goal you can save close to 75% .

Take 45 acp Remington 185 grain Golden Sabres as an example , a box of 25 loaded rounds at Midway USA is $32.49 yet 100 of the bullets is just $24.49 or 24 cents a bullet a whole $6 worth of bullets Winchester 231 powder will drive that to factory velocities for a cost of less than 2 cents a round or a total of 50 cents even if primers hit $30 a thousand thats 3 cents per primer or another 75 cents for a box of 25 round . We're at $7.25 and even if you use brand new Remington +p cases "which there is no reason you can't use once fired brass you already have on hand" they cost is 25 cents each or $6.25 for 25 total for 25 hand loaded rounds is $13.50 almost 1/3 of the price of the ammo loaded at the factory .

A premium defensive bullet should still perform even if you can only come withing 100 FPS of the factory loading .

At a savings of nearly $20 a box it wouldn't be long before the reloading press , Dies and scale paid for itself and you can get started without the scale by using Lee plastic powder dippers or a Lee Autodisk powder measure .

O BTW I have loaded 45acp , 38 special and 357 magmum cases well over a dozen times with medium-upper range loads many many times in 20 years of reloading .

Last edited by BigO01; 06-01-2008 at 09:14 PM.