Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   SAFETY while Reloading. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/safety-while-reloading-38707/)

cpttango30 02-20-2011 02:39 AM

SAFETY while Reloading.

First let me say I have been reloading for 20 to 22 years. I know my way around a reloading bench.

Tonight I was checking stock in the safe. I noticed I had ZERO 223 loaded for the AR. With spring coming and wanting to find a ground hog hunting spot or two or three. I need ammo. So I have 400 223 cases preped and ready for powder and bullet.

So I grab a box of Sierra 60gr HP Varmint bullets and I grab my H4895 and h335 powder to see which I am going to use. Well I went inside to check 6mmbr.com for graymist's ar varmint load. It called for 25gr of H4895. So back out to the bench I go. Load up the RCBS Uniflow with H4895 check my manual and see 25gr is in the safe zone. Then I add powder to my trickler. Get the block and load up the first 50 rounds in it. Wait one minute. Where the hell did this come from? I got stick in the hopper on the uniflow and ball in the trickler. HOLY CRAP. I forgot to put the damn H335 away. I caught it but I could have really screwed the hell up. What would have been worse is if I would have grabbed Varget and H4895 as they look identical.

Note to everyone. NEVER EVER EVER EVER Have 2 different types of powder on the bench at one time. I did and see what happened. A 1 second laps in attention and I could have blown up my $1500 AR and my $50k face.

SO please check the manual and decide on what powder your going to use before pulling any out. It can happen to anyone.....

dunerunner 02-20-2011 02:51 AM

Great tip Tango and as a very new to reloading noob, I appreciate the heads up!

lonyaeger 02-20-2011 02:53 AM

Very good advice, but I'd say your face is, like, $15K.....tops.

winds-of-change 02-20-2011 02:54 AM

Noooo......not your beautiful face!!

I don't reload but my friend in Cali does. He was meticulous about reading the manual and setting everything out. Like you just mentioned, he kept his powers on a shelf behind him when reloading and only took out what was called for at that time. Point well taken and a great reminder.

lukeisme 02-20-2011 03:59 AM

I am so paranoid about that very thing that when I get out a powder from the case I relock it and set the keys in the other room. I blew a pistol up several years ago with someone eles reloads so since then I have been paranoid as heck about that.

Gatekeeper 02-20-2011 04:05 AM

Great reminder!

Always check to make sure your powder dispenser is completely empty before adding new powder. I almost made a boo boo not too long back. Thought the dispenser was empty, but noticed there was still some powder left as I dumped in powder for my AR. It was in the housing below the clear tube, 5-10 rds worth. Could have been ugly:eek:

cpttango30 02-20-2011 02:14 PM

I really did scare the crap out of myself.

I have 350 more rounds to load. So it is going to take me a while.

I really need to get a 223 set up for the dillon and buy some cheap fodder bullets and load them up with the cheapest powder I can find just for blasting ammo....

dnthmn2004 02-20-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 449445)
I really did scare the crap out of myself.

I have 350 more rounds to load. So it is going to take me a while.

I really need to get a 223 set up for the dillon and buy some cheap fodder bullets and load them up with the cheapest powder I can find just for blasting ammo....

Wow, good thing you noticed that! Safety is #1.

Wouldn't want to ruin the Fart Ninja's celebrity face. I would be very disappointed if there were no more installments.

Imagine if you finished 350 rounds before noticing the foul-up? Thats a lot of bullet pulling either way.