Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Safe to shoot?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Safe to shoot?????

Hi, I'm new here and just got into reloading and had a question. If there is a stretch mark ahead of the web area, is the round safe to shoot? Here is a pic, its kind of blurry but you can still see the stretch mark.

100_1746.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2010, 06:16 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I have been loading my own ammo for quite a long time and I will be the first to cull brass or loaded ammo if something doesn't appear right. There is no reason at all to risk injury or damage with defective looking ammo.
Looks like that one may be ready to separate so I would definitely send it to the dump.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertip 44 View Post
I have been loading my own ammo for quite a long time and I will be the first to cull brass or loaded ammo if something doesn't appear right. There is no reason at all to risk injury or damage with defective looking ammo.
Looks like that one may be ready to separate so I would definitely send it to the dump.
Thanks. I have been loading about 1.5 grains under the max load, should I decrease it even more?

Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #4

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Need a more clear photo...............

Jim.....

Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

One round?

Pitch the damn thing!

Get your puller out, save the bullet and powder and throw the BAD brass away!

If I'm wrong 99% of the time on this, are you willing to be a 1%er?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I need a clearer photo to see if it is a stretch mark or if it is just scuffs from the die body rubbing on the body of the case.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5287 Times on 2757 Posts
Likes Given: 333

when in doubt toss it out. its only a piece of brass. hell i give away my .458winmag and .458 brass at ranges now and then to kids or adults collecting as a souvenier...

Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2592 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Is that a .223? I have never seen a.223 exhibit a "stretch mark". When a case gets an incipient separation it is rarely visible from the outside. It looks like the sizing die scuffed the brass.

If that is a "stretch mark" the brass would have been overlength. Did you have to trim the case? If you did not trim at all and it is not overlength, that is NOT a stretch mark.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

You should load between the starting load and max load in your loading manual. If you are using military brass then you should always reduce the maximum load by two grains. Quite often the most accurate load will be somewhat less than maximum.
The photo is not very clear and if the ring is simply the scuff or burnish of the sizing die then it is pretty much normal. It is kind of diffucult to see the stretched area that will be a case head separation, but sometimes it does show.
You should also load your brass in separate batches so that you can log the number of times it has been sized and loaded. Almost all my loading is for the M1A and M1 Garand and I limit brass use to 4 total firings.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If the case had "stretched" at that point, it would have been over length as Robo has noted, and more than likely would have crumpled in the sizing die. I think Robo has it right in that it looks like a scuffmark from the sizing die.

What caliber? Are you using Small Base full length re-sizing dies? What kind of case lube are you using? I found that the spray-on case lubes do not work for me when reloading .223/5.56 cases in the SB dies. I have had to go back to using the high-pressure case lube with the pad to keep from sticking cases in the FL SB .223 die.

Question for others though: If you see signs of incipient or partial case head separation in your fired cases, would that mean you have a head space problem?

TXnorton