Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Rusty 45ACP dies..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Rusty 45ACP dies..

I bought this reloader from some one on craigslist. It's got some rusty parts. These are the 45ACP dies which the seller left in the die in the reloader. As you can see the previous owner didn't care well for the press. Looks like he just disassembled it a put it the box and forgot about it and it drew moisture.

What it the best way to clean this rust off these parts? The rust doesn't seem to be pitting. Would a brass brush, steel wool and some WD40 and/or Rust and Blue remover work?

This is just the start of the rusty parts pictures to come. Thank you in advance.

rusty-45acp-dies.jpg  

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 555

I have several die sets that look like that.If you don't have a climate controlled room-like inside your house-to reload in,the oil's,sweat,and humidity will allow the outside surfaces where you handle the dies to rust.
It doesn't do any harm,it just looks bad.A bead blaster works really good,but don't do the inside of the dies.Or,you could put them in your tumbler for a while.Just mask off the top and bottom of the dies to keep the media from scratching up the inside finish.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
A bead blaster works really good,but don't do the inside of the dies. Or, you could put them in your tumbler for a while.Just mask off the top and bottom of the dies to keep the media from scratching up the inside finish.
I dont have a tumbler yet. Slowly acquiring equipment..

If I were to soak them in blaster, scrub the outside rust off, then hit them with degreaser (non-chlorinated brake cleaner), let them dry then lightly coat with oil; would that work? I know they're used but I would like to get them looking as new as possible..

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 02-12-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20859 Times on 11857 Posts
Likes Given: 52397

if there is no rust inside the dies, then most of that rust is more cosmetic than anything. i think your methods will work fine to rid them of the rust. steel wool and scotch brites with gun oil should work as well.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

That's a harmless light surface rust on the dies, you probably don't have much if any inside. Chemical soaks and cleaners won't do much to rust but running over them with a rotating fine steel wire brush wheel will make them look new in a few minutes. Best would be with the wire wheel mounted on a bench grinder but one of the inexpensive and commonly available small circular brushes mounted on a 1/4" arbor and chucked in an eletric drill will also do it.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I did a complete disassemble of the entire Lee Pro 1000 today. Soaked everything in wd40, scrubbed all the parts with a brass brush and steelwool.

When I bought the press I thought is was dirty but I didnt think it was this dirty. It turned the wd40 the color of light roasted coffee. I blasted all parts of the case carrier assembly with non-chlorinaded brake cleaner to clean off any wd40 that was still clinging on. Then I lightly greased (lithium) the bottom of the case plate. I also greased all the ram linkage. Runs like a champ now.

I have to give props to sfliberal's channel on youtube. He has a 9 part series on a complete Lee Pro 1000 strip & clean. I highly recommend his series to any first time, and even second time, cleaner of the LP1K.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

-------------

Old 02-14-2012, 04:00 AM   #7

.45 Auto

forumrunner_20120213_235928.jpg