Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Russian Ammunition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, on my first 1000 round purchase of 45, all I could really find was WOLF 230gr. I have had no FTF with it and my xd eats it good, I have since got 2000 rounds of speer, seem as though ammo is getting easier to find.

My locale range got an order of Nato 7.62 in from Italy and they want $364.00 for 250 rounds I believe.

Layton

Old 08-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
75 to 100 years......... Really ammo may have a longer shelf life than we do.
Right on
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Anything named after an animal is dirty. Wolf, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, etcetera, will function in AKs, SKSs, just fine.

If you have a torture test gun, Glock, XD, etcetera, again, functions just fine.

Surplus, as others have said, is almost always corrosive. Depending on the caliber, alot of it is loaded a hair hotter than commercial stuff.

Lacquer is an enemy. Lacquer coating, while protecting the round past the end times, heats up and eventually gums up. Often times a b***h to get out of your gun.

If you shoot, you can't beat the price.

Wolf, while filthy, goes bang and is alot of fun, and mostly reliable, too.
I didn't know that Lacquer was that bad. I'll have to avoid it. As a matter of fact, I have to make sure I don't have any of that crap, LOL.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Another potential problem associated with steel cased ammo is the way it behaves in your chamber. Brass being much softer expands more rapidly and more completely. This means it grips the chamber walls much tighter than than steel. Why is this important? Because if a case does not form a temporary weld with the chamber walls, it is free to slam back into the bolt face at the peak of the pressure curve. Doing this repeatedly will cause damage to the bolt face and possibly the extractor.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #15

Here's a link I found about Lacquer Ammo. Sounds very very bad:

Lacquer coated ammunition warning

Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Wolf Black Box is lacquer free. Wolf Military Classic, the Brown Bear, lacquer rich.

The temptation to get the Military Classic with it's cool camo box should be accompanied with a bottle of acetone or nail polish remover.

Your camo box Man points are negated by your Emo nail polish points.

Black Box.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:32 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Wolf Black Box is lacquer free. Wolf Military Classic, the Brown Bear, lacquer rich.

The temptation to get the Military Classic with it's cool camo box should be accompanied with a bottle of acetone or nail polish remover.

Your camo box Man points are negated by your Emo nail polish points.

Black Box.
Well, that is what I bought, the black box, steel case, boxer primed, non corrosive,230gr, so guess I lucked out buying sight unseen.

Layton

Old 08-16-2009, 02:42 AM   #18

whoops. I think I got some brown bear.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #19

Default dirty

I am not sure this is true so you take your pick.powder made from wood chips is dirtier than powder made from cotton.they do make the two.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCATT View Post
I am not sure this is true so you take your pick.powder made from wood chips is dirtier than powder made from cotton.they do make the two.
Are you serious?! Wow! That sounds bad. I've never researched it after all.