Russian Ammunition
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Russian Ammunition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Russian Ammunition

I've noticed there are mixed opinions of Rifle Ammunition imported from Russia. I've seen reviews that say that this kind of ammunition is "too dirty", this ammunition "makes my gun jam, and it doesn't feed right", the quality of the ammunition is poor "cartridges just fell apart after it came in the mail", and more.

I personally have had somewhat success shooting it through my .308 WIN CETME rifle. By my experience I'm not sure of the overall accuracy because I shot about 20 rounds in an indoor range that went up to 25 yards. The rounds did seem a bit dirtier than usual, but that could just be because of the delayed blowback the CETME has.

What's everyones take on generally imported Russian ammunition here?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Under normal circumstances I will not use steel cased ammo in guns that were not designed for it. The SKS and AK work just fine with such ammo.

The CETME was designed for the thick brass cased NATO ammo. I have way too much money invested in the HK and CETME to risk using cheap ammo.

You would not put 87 octane gas in your Corvette, would you? It would run, but you run the risk of damaging it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Isn't some of that surplus ammo labeled "corrosive"? I don't even put that in my SKS; i think it requires a bit more cleaning & more promptly. Brown bear is as dirty as i'll go & that is in an SKS, not an expensive rifle.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #4

Most of the ammo I get is off of CheaperThanDirt.com and all the Russian ammo I see on there claim they are non-corrosive. I honestly haven't shot Silver Bear (steel) through my CETME, but I have shot the Brass bullets, and they seem to have great performance. I assume that these rounds and Russian rounds are dirtier in general, but it's hard for me to tell because my CETME gets dirty after use due to it's Blowback. I've seen alot of reviews on this kind of ammo that people claim it's dirty.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 231

You would be wise to consider any ammo that originates from behind the former steel curtain (not Pittsburg) to be at least mildly corrosive. Corrosive is not a huge deal, just clean it thoroughly ASAP. Corrosive primers seem to have a longer shelf life than others.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #6

Good point. I can't be completely sure of that ammo. I always clean my gun the same day I shoot it. Indeed it is dirtier ammo, and I personally think that that ammo has high performance at a cheap price.

I didn't think of the corrosive ammo lasting longer on the shelf.

How long does a typical round of ammo last anyways?

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sausn2002 View Post
Good point. I can't be completely sure of that ammo. I always clean my gun the same day I shoot it. Indeed it is dirtier ammo, and I personally think that that ammo has high performance at a cheap price.

I didn't think of the corrosive ammo lasting longer on the shelf.

How long does a typical round of ammo last anyways?
75 to 100 years......... Really ammo may have a longer shelf life than we do.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 08-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Anything named after an animal is dirty. Wolf, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, etcetera, will function in AKs, SKSs, just fine.

If you have a torture test gun, Glock, XD, etcetera, again, functions just fine.

Surplus, as others have said, is almost always corrosive. Depending on the caliber, alot of it is loaded a hair hotter than commercial stuff.

Lacquer is an enemy. Lacquer coating, while protecting the round past the end times, heats up and eventually gums up. Often times a b***h to get out of your gun.

If you shoot, you can't beat the price.

Wolf, while filthy, goes bang and is alot of fun, and mostly reliable, too.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:08 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Break down and buy some quality american made .308 and run an accuracy comparison. You will soon discover why anything made in Russia or third world country's is cheap. I would never put that garbage through any of my guns except for my SKS, which is cheap and inaccurate and perfectly suited for cheap inaccurate ammo!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-15-2009, 10:12 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Anything named after an animal is dirty. Wolf, Golden Tiger, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, etcetera, will function in AKs, SKSs, just fine.

If you have a torture test gun, Glock, XD, etcetera, again, functions just fine.

Surplus, as others have said, is almost always corrosive. Depending on the caliber, alot of it is loaded a hair hotter than commercial stuff.

Lacquer is an enemy. Lacquer coating, while protecting the round past the end times, heats up and eventually gums up. Often times a b***h to get out of your gun.

If you shoot, you can't beat the price.

Wolf, while filthy, goes bang and is alot of fun, and mostly reliable, too.
All that there is the gospel truth, amen.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”