Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Roll Crimping (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/roll-crimping-83797/)

aandabooks 02-09-2013 03:25 AM

Roll Crimping

Made up my first ever 10 .44 Special loads this evening. I have a roll crimping issue. In setting my crimp, I got my OAL set and then backed off the seater and lowered my die to set the crimp. On a couple cases I buckled the case about half way up.

I am loading 180 grain lead RNFP and putting the bullet to a seat where the top of the case is right at the top of the cannalure. Should I be leaving the bullet higher and crimping in the middle of the cannalure? I don't have to worry about the OAL in relation to the cylinder length. I hate ruining cases. I'll be test firing the first rounds I made in the morning.

Rick1967 02-09-2013 03:32 AM

I crimp right in the middle of the grove. How much are you crimping. It takes a lot to buckle a straight walled case. Perhaps you should back off a little. You can always add a little more if you think it is not enough.

aandabooks 02-09-2013 03:38 AM

I backed off the crimp a little after I bucked the two. The last 5 went ok but I just worry that I might not be putting enough crimp on. I don't have any pics in my reloading manuals.

Rick1967 02-09-2013 03:40 AM

When I set my dies I raise the ram with the case in it. I screw the die in until it touches the the case. I then tighten an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Never more than 1/2. But often 1/4 is enough.

aandabooks 02-09-2013 03:48 AM

With those numbers, I definitely think I'm over crimping. I'm using Hornady dies so I'm seating and crimping all on the same die.

Rick1967 02-09-2013 03:53 AM

When I do both with one die I set the bullet depth first. I do it with the die way back so it doesnt crimp. Then after the first bullet is the right depth I take the seater out to set the crimp. Once the crimp is set I put the seater back in and slowly screw it in util it touches the bullet that I just crimped.

Does that make sense?

25-5 02-09-2013 03:55 AM

Way, way, easier with a separate crimp die.

Rick1967 02-09-2013 04:04 AM

Not really. Once it is set up doing both at once is much faster. I have both types.

robocop10mm 02-09-2013 04:41 AM

A heavy roll crimp should not be necessary on the .44 Special. Light to moderate is generally fine. I prefer to set my crimp at the middle of the crimp groove (cast bullet) or cannelure (jacketed bullet).

Case length will affect crimp. You should start with cases EXACTLY the same length. A case that is a bit long will render a heavier crimp and possibly buckle. Setting the crimp a bit lighter will give you some fudge factor for inconsistant length.

aandabooks 02-09-2013 04:44 AM

The way that you described is the way that I did it. I think I just went for too much crimp or I need to move the cannalure up a bit so that I am crimping more in the middle.