Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > rifle mag primers -v- large rifle primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 03:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default rifle mag primers -v- large rifle primers

I got a ? about using large rifle primers versus large rifle mag primers, I have developed several differant loads for my 300 win mag using cci 250 primers and since the mag primers are getting a little hard to find, can a regular large rifle primer be substatuted for a mag primer with out a big change in performance with out causing pressure problems, i have found a little info using a large rifle primer, but it seems the loads are a little slower, and can a cci primer and winchester primer be safely swaped for one another, it seems that federal and cci can safely be substituted.thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-16-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I never use the magnum rifle primers.I have never seen any improvement in accuracy with them in a 300WM load.If you were loading compressed powder loads,they might work better but for standard charges the regular large rifle primers will work just fine.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #3

the cups are often harder/thicker on mag primers.

substituting std primers may result in the primer piercing and sending 60,000+ psi of molten gasses back into your face.

then again, they may work fine.

it all boils down to weather or not you want to take the chance.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

The main reason for the use of magnum primers is that you need a larger hotter flame to get a good solid burn going on that big fat column of powder. They are also thicker to stand the higher pressures that many magnum cartridges produce.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #5

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 677

Here is a VG article. Scroll down. I use standard Lg Rifle in 120..140gr 7MM rem mag loads and Lg rifle Magnum in 160+ gr loads.
exterior ballistics
It is perhaps worth mentioning that some of this class of primers have been developed for very specific applications. The Federal 215 primer, for example, was designed to reliably ignite the massive powder charges associated with the Weatherby line of magnum cartridges. These should be used as shown in the loading tables, and must not be randomly substituted for standard large rifle primers. With their sharper ignition characteristics, they will frequently give higher pressures than a standard primer used in an otherwise identical load.

Not true at all!!
the cups are often harder/thicker on mag primers.
substituting std primers may result in the primer piercing and sending 60,000+ psi of molten gasses back into your face.
then again, they may work fine.
it all boils down to weather or not you want to take the chance.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 03-16-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #6

I have been using 75gr H-4831sc with 165 gr sierra btsp with outstanding results,and 80 to 81 gr H-1000 with same bullets and cci 250 on both loads does anybody use close to this with just large rifle primers.?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8421 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Rules for a long and happy life if reloading:

1. Read the load in the book
2. USE the load in the book
3. It is called a STARTING load since that is where you start.
4. Change ANY component- primer, powder, brass or bullet- go BACK to the starting load, and work up.
5. Most accurate load is rarely the hottest load.

While you will not be blazing trails in the annals of reloading, you are rarely at the ER having bits of your firearm located and removed from your body.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 PM   #8

yes, good advice, and i have always stuck to the load charts mainly for health reasons but second reason not enough cash flow to be tearing up good firearms, i have printed off some reloading tables from the hodgen site and they are pretty close in comparison to the speer reloading manual,just have always used the speer guide and nothing else,i just never found a need to use anything else till now, some of the loads are tack drivers ,anybody know when the mag primers will be easier to find.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:50 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8421 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Folks that had not bought a primer in 10 years ran out and bought a 5 gallon bucket of them. So when Joe, who usually buys 300 a month, saw the stocks dwindling, HE bought a 5 gallon bucket. Pretty soon the shelves were emptier than the Dunkin' Donuts located between Weight Watcher's and the Police Academy. The makers are producing, and product IS getting shipped, and they ARE out there- just takes a while. Same thing with ammo. Same thing with AR style rifles.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #10

lol, i have three gun shops in my area and they have been out for months, i know it wont be long, it was the same way with the small rifle for a while and now they are pretty handy.