Review Farrar Ballistics 38 SPC reman
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Review Farrar Ballistics 38 SPC reman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 392 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

Default Review Farrar Ballistics 38 SPC reman

Bought 1000 rds ammo to support a nice handgunning weekend and was really looking forward to shooting it.

Came in 10 packs of 100 rds each inside a box.

But sadly Locked up my cylinder almost every time.
Tried it again on another revolver this weekend while opening a different bag hoping for a better result, this was when shooting with a friend at his house, this locked up this other revolver as well. ...
cylinder would not turn once again after shot 1.

- That Saturday evening I then hand selected out the most questionable looking rounds (pressure lines in brass, dents in brass) .
This removed about 20% of rounds of the next 2 bags. Again next morning I was still unable to shoot a single 6 shot drum... revolver locked up halfway thru the trigger pull.
an expanded case was clearly obstructing the turn of the cylinder.

Likely IMO cause , using too many times reloaded brass.

Company owner says its "the guns fault" says GP100s are "unreliable " and the dents i spotted in some rounds are FEDEx fault ..
This all that despite the fact that my GP has shot 100 s of trouble free rounds the previous weekend and then locking up with this ammo and his ammo only.

My buddies ancient 38 SPC Ammo functioned perfect afterwards as did my newer Fiocchi 125gr.
I was unable to complete even a single drill with this ammo.

This Ammo is badly faulty.. I have never experienced something like this before and to think I almost cached it..
Verdict.. not even nearly good enough to be training Ammo.

Sad the guy would not take it back, he responded to a previous request for tracking number quickly and positively + well after business hours which impressed me so I really wanted to like this ammo.

But his responded to my email tell him how the ammo was broke he responded negatively.
But it is simply absolutely unusable Ammo, even by the relatively low standards I have for training.

Since the company is not taking it back I will give the remaining 960+ rounds to a buddy to pull bullets and powder for reloading.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 07-29-2014 at 01:49 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Would be interesting to check out the rounds looking at the OAL, case length, case diameter, the bullet weight and diameter, and how consistent the powder drops were. If I read this right, you did get to shoot some. Did they hit a little hard like he over charged them? Now that I think about it, the first thing I would check is the OAL of a wheel of ammo before loading, and then shoot until it locks up, and pull the rounds and check the OAL again. I bet he didn't give them enough crimp, and the recoil is pulling the bullets out until they lock up the action. If that's the case, your reloading buddy could fix that very quick and save 900 some rounds.

Sent from my smart phone using my not smart hand.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsca View Post
Would be interesting to check out the rounds looking at the OAL, case length, case diameter, the bullet weight and diameter, and how consistent the powder drops were. If I read this right, you did get to shoot some. Did they hit a little hard like he over charged them? Now that I think about it, the first thing I would check is the OAL of a wheel of ammo before loading, and then shoot until it locks up, and pull the rounds and check the OAL again. I bet he didn't give them enough crimp, and the recoil is pulling the bullets out until they lock up the action. If that's the case, your reloading buddy could fix that very quick and save 900 some rounds.

Sent from my smart phone using my not smart hand.
Good thinking!

I know a few guys locally that relaod but have not yet gotten a firm engagement for assistance.

Including shipping the ammo cost me a total of $310 and I a bit broke right now so saving the ammo would be much preferred.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Old 09-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #4

Default Farrar Ballaistics

I recently purchased 1000 rounds of 38 special and only recvd 943 rounds. I have sent 3 e-mails requesting their plan to resolve. No response as yet. Next step will be to file a dispute with the credit card company. This was my first time ordering from them. Unless the come up with a satisfactory resolution it will be the first and last time.
I have not tried the ammo at the range yet. Will be using a Ruger LCR.

Update: Received an e-mail this morning apologizing for the error. They will send me a check for the difference. Will post when it is received.

Last edited by hotrod14; 09-14-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

Update: rcvd check yesterday as promised. Still have not taken to the range but will update once we get the chance. Bought the ammo for the wife and she does not get to the range as often as I do.
Based on customer service and willingness to correct issue I would order from them again.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6322 Times on 3538 Posts
Likes Given: 5903

With commercial reloads:

CAVEAT EMPTOR

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM   #7

hotrod?
So how did it go?

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Find someone with a taper crimp die and run a few rounds through it. If those work your problem is solved but it is still poor QC and bad business practice. If it doesn't work go the credit card complaint route. I would not do business with them again. I have had good luck with the link below. they have both new and reman. I have been using some of their new 9mm and have had no problems. Free shipping on the first order and they will buy back the brass.
http://www.freedommunitions.com/default.asp#&panel1-2

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #9

JTJ:

I should have made my update more complete.

Gave it to a buddy who realoads.
He found the primers where too far out and locking up the drum.

2 primers were missing altogether and 2 where installed sideways .

The majority of rounds were good but there were enough problem rounds that using the ammo required a thorough by-hand inspection by him which took out about 10% of rounds.

Afterwards I could use the remaining ammo.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Last edited by bluez; Yesterday at 10:53 PM.

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6322 Times on 3538 Posts
Likes Given: 5903

That is unacceptable.

During my 15 years of teaching a women's handgun classes, I issued many thousands of remanufactured rounds. Each student fired 500 rounds per class, and we trained 150-200 per year.

I could count the number of "problem" rounds on one hand and have a finger or two left over.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz