Respect the hand priming tool!!! - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Respect the hand priming tool!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've been using a LEE hand primer for almost 30 years w/ no problems. That said, priming cases is the least enjoyable part of reloading for me. It still worries me, and I ease them puppies in real gentle.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
I use a RCBS hand priming tool. I only allow one primer at a time in the tool while the other primers are in the tray with a gate built into the top of the tray closing off the rest of the primers from a chain reaction in case one in the tool goes off......
Very good info. I use the gate to keep from spilling them when setting up, but open it up for priming. Not any more. I am using bamashooter's method from now on--slows things up a tad, but much safer. I have never had a primer flip, but have had them double up occasionally, and that's pucker time. Always figured that once the ram sets the primer up to the pocket, if it did for some reason go off it would only flash out the case mouth, which is always pointed away. But this post makes me think that there might be other reasons for making one pop that could cause a chain event...like maybe static discharge for one? Tell me that the RCBS tray is anti-static...pretty please?

De-priming a hot one is no where near as dangerous, because there is only one to deal with, and it is pretty well contained, at least initially.

Gonna get me a better pair of safety glasses. So glad the injuries, though nasty, were not too bad.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #23

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I've just started doing my homework on reloading. A guy on one video takes his 'mis-primed' shells, soaks them in penetrating oil, and tosses them. I don't remember how or where. He doesn't bother trying to clear and re-prime the same shell. He says it's just not worth the risk.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I've just started doing my homework on reloading. A guy on one video takes his 'mis-primed' shells, soaks them in penetrating oil, and tosses them. I don't remember how or where. He doesn't bother trying to clear and re-prime the same shell. He says it's just not worth the risk.

Yeah depriming an upside down primer can be done and people do do it but dies arent barrel steel they are tool steel which is hard and great for doing machine operations where stresses are in line with the grain of the steel.

However, tool steel is brittle and not strong at all across the grain. A primer going off in such an enclosed space has the theoretical possibility of turning a die into a mini grenade.

I just dont want to be the first person it happens to and up on you tube with a face full of steel splinters...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

m72law Likes This