Removing old lube from RCBS bullet resizer ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Removing old lube from RCBS bullet resizer ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Removing old lube from RCBS bullet resizer ?

A couple of years ago I inadvertently stored my RCBS LubeAMatic bullet resizer with lube still in the chamber.

What is the best way to remove this old lube from the chamber and the lube channels so I can refill with fresh lube ?

Thanks for your assist,

Desmond

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

What kind of lube is it? Most lubes will remain stable for years and not cause a problem. I leave lube in my Lyman and simply use it the next time. I don't know how you would get the old lube out anyway. Perhaps a heat gun and warm things up a bit.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It may have been Lyman I was using. Digging some out with a screwdriver it is still soft so I will give it a try as is, I just didn't want to take a chance of blowing out an O ring or something.

Thanks.

Des

Old 04-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Unless you are changing to a different lube I see no reason for cleaning it out. Bullet lube doesn't die from old age and the machines aren't made to allow removing it readily.

The only time I ever "cleaned" my Lyman 450 was to switch from the original Lyman black lube to the NRA formula Alox. I simply removed all the parts and put it into a bucket of water. Heated the water over a Coleman stove until it was boiling and the lube melted out, floated to the top. Inside it was a clean as if new. That was in '71 and it's never been cleaned (internally) or had the lube replaced since.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #5

Default lyman luber

take the luber and turn it upsid down heat with a hair dryer,it will all flow out.
I have lube in mine and have stored a case of sticks and blocks for 20 yrs. and its still good.its just grease and wax.