Remington thunderbolt destroyed my 10 22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Remington thunderbolt destroyed my 10 22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Remington thunderbolt destroyed my 10 22

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1397442265.897192.jpgimageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1397442289.749596.jpg

These are pictures of the leading I had to ram out of my ruger 10/22 takedown after shooting about 300 rounds through it. I began to notice a terrible decrease in accuracy and so I took the forend off with the barrel and look at the rifling seeing intense leading to the point where I can not even see the rifling. I tried to clean it with a brush and hoppes and could not get the rod past an inch or two so I flipped it around and rammed a rod with a brass jag down the muzzle and pop!! Out comes that lil beaut. I post this because I want to let other shooters here know of the possibility of what can happen if you choose to shoot Remington thunderbolts (as I have heard this happening to other and always thought "thatll never be me") and to vent some anger. I am a person who cleans there guns after every shooting so I know that it was this ammo that caused the leading. Also I was wonder if there are any suggestions on how to get the rest of the lead out. I am soaking it in hoppes 9 and will try some Remington bright bore if the hoppes does not work. Thanks for listening to me vent and for any replies! They are all appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Product called Kroil. Really, I mean REALLY good penetrating oil. You can get it at Tractor Supply, I order mine from the maker, Kano labs.

Wet the bore, let set 24 hrs, brush. I have used it to clean copper fouling from milsurp rifles. Gets between the fouling and barrel metal, loosens fouling so you can get it out with a brush.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #3

Thanks c3shooter! The hoppes is not working so I will have to try that!

Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Product called Kroil. Really, I mean REALLY good penetrating oil. You can get it at Tractor Supply, I order mine from the maker, Kano labs.

Wet the bore, let set 24 hrs, brush. I have used it to clean copper fouling from milsurp rifles. Gets between the fouling and barrel metal, loosens fouling so you can get it out with a brush.
Amen! finest bore solvent i have ever used.

lots of benchrest shooters swear by Kano Kroil.

i also find it to be a great penetrating oil for rusted fastners as well.

Kroil and some coarse cloth or very fine steel wool works wonders at removing rust from blued surfaces.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:04 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

the can looks like this Tnel

http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Penetrating-liquid-KROIL/dp/B000F09CF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397444615&sr=8-1&keywords=Kroil

Axxe steered me to it last summer on a gun project. Works great

Old 04-14-2014, 03:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
the can looks like this Tnel

http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Penetrating-liquid-KROIL/dp/B000F09CF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397444615&sr=8-1&keywords=Kroil

Axxe steered me to it last summer on a gun project. Works great
as long as we are giving credit here, C3 and Canebrake were the two gentlemen who recommended it to me almost three years ago. so i simply like to pass on a good product to others as well.

Kroil goes a long ways as well. i bought two 8 oz. cans over two years ago. i have only used maybe half of the first can so far. so IMO it's also a very economical product as well. it was about $9 for an 8 oz. can IIRC.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 AM   #7

Thanks for all replies! I will definently have to get a hold of some and hopefully it will convert me too!

Old 04-14-2014, 03:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnel74 View Post
Thanks for all replies! I will definently have to get a hold of some and hopefully it will convert me too!

let me give you my perspective. i have been in and around the automotive and large truck repair industry for almost over 35 years now. rusted fastners and corroded fittings and such are daily occurences for me. i have probably tried just about every type of penetrating oil out there over the years. i tend to be a bit sceptical when i hear claims about something being better than another brand.

i tried the Kano Kroil on a suggestion from C3 and Canebrake, both of whom i havea lot of faith in their recommendations. i was not disappointed in the Kroil in the least. it even exceeded my expectations of what it could do.

Kroil is a good all purpose product for guns in general. it is now now my number one got to product on firearms. yes, it is that good. and no, Kano Kroil didn't pay me to say these things!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
let me give you my perspective. i have been in and around the automotive and large truck repair industry for almost over 35 years now. rusted fastners and corroded fittings and such are daily occurences for me. i have probably tried just about every type of penetrating oil out there over the years. i tend to be a bit sceptical when i hear claims about something being better than another brand.

i tried the Kano Kroil on a suggestion from C3 and Canebrake, both of whom i havea lot of faith in their recommendations. i was not disappointed in the Kroil in the least. it even exceeded my expectations of what it could do.

Kroil is a good all purpose product for guns in general. it is now now my number one got to product on firearms. yes, it is that good. and no, Kano Kroil didn't pay me to say these things!

Your gettin me all excited about this stuff!! Haha I've heard it mentioned on here before but never paid much attention to it!

Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

After reading about Kano Kroil on this thread (the first time I've heard of this stuff), I went to their website and ordered a small can. They also had a promo for a free can of AeroKroil with the first order. I'm always in need of something that can free locked up screws, nuts, plumbing joints, etc.

I hope I get the same results as y'all have posted about the use of this penetrating oil!

http://www.kanolabs.com/

Bayou