Remington Core-Lok HANDLOADS!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Remington Core-Lok HANDLOADS!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remington Core-Lok HANDLOADS!!

I am just starting to learn how to handload. My buddy who is showing me loads for the 270 Win.(among others). I love my 270,and have always had good results with Remington Core-loks in130 gr.. Since they are the most inexpesive bullets out there,and I like the "on-game"results, That is where we started. I was looking to duplicate factory performance at a cheaper price. I bought new brass(even though I have plenty of once-fired), taylored the OAL to my gun,and went to working up loads with H4831sc. Being new to this, I was surprised at the starting loads lack of recoil(less than My243). We tested a couple of loads that were just a tad above max,but accuracy fell off(nothing bad showing on the primers though),and since I had had enough fun for one day(actually two),I settled on the load that gave the best accuracy(2 grains under max). The part that I cant believe,is the tight group I got. With factory ammo, i would get consistant 3/4" groups. With these handloads, It is less than 1/2". I know that 1/4 of an inch at 100 yds won't make a bit of difference to the deer(My shots are generally less than 200 yds), but not only are the groups tighter,they are more uniformed in shape.
Has anyone else been as pleasantly surprised with their results as I am? I know I am not using a premium bullet,but I do believe "if it ain't broke...",and maybe down the road I will try some, but for now I am sticking with what I got.
Next on the agenda will be my 44 revolver ammo. That's getting way outta hand. Then My 7mm mag. Thanks for letting me vent some of my excitement.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2106 Times on 1139 Posts
Likes Given: 3168

Quote:
Has anyone else been as pleasantly surprised with their results as I am?

In a word, yes. Core-Lokts are really good accurate bullets; effective on game too. A few weeks ago i loaded some FC .30-06 cases with 180 grain C/L bullets and 57 grains of IMR 4831 and a CCI primer. That load shoots a consistent .5 moa at 100 yards.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:01 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot43 View Post
I Has anyone else been as pleasantly surprised with their results as I am? I know I am not using a premium bullet,but I do believe "if it ain't broke...",and maybe down the road I will try some, but for now I am sticking with what I got.
Absolutely - in every caliber too. I think I bought a few hundred rounds of factory ammo in 10 years, and that was only to build up a supply of brass for a new caliber I bought while I waited for the dies I ordered. I've had a lot of success with the 30-30, .303, .223, 6.5 x 55, .308, and .40. Once you find the right load, it's always gonna be more accurate than factory ammo because you're tailoring it to your particular gun. PArt of the fun is testing all the loads. I used to have a range in my backyard, which really speeded up the process. Now I have to drive 5 miles. Good luck and happy shooting.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I've only used a few Remington bullets, from .224 to .358 dia, over the years but have always been VERY pleased with both accuracy and terminal performance on game.

I think Remmy components are the "sleepers" in reloading supplies and wish more people would wake up to them; that should make them easier to find!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A lot of people frown on Remingtons bulk packaging (plastic bag) of bullets. I've used them for years and short of bench rest shooting, see no problem with bulk packaging. Hell, Sierra bullets are packed loose in a box, what the hell is the difference?

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I have shot only a few core lock bullets and they are accurate for a hunting bullet.

I think I might have to order some from my 06 for deer season.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Remington factory ammo has, IMHO, lagged behind the others in the accuracy and innovation categories. Remington components are high quality and work well. Every gun will show distinct preferences for ammo. This does not mean that Federal is better than Winchester is better than Remington. They are just different.

Velocity, powder choice, powder charge (weight), bullet, manufacturer, weight, design, seating depth (OAL), bullet hold (amount of crimp),primer, case, chamber dimensions, free bore, barrel quality, bedding, etc, etc all have something to do with the accuracy of a shot (or rather a group of shots). Consistance is one of the keys. As long as every shot hits in the same place, every time life is good. If each shot hits exactly 1" low at 100 yards, you simply adjust the sights/scope to that spot.

Handloading allows you to take a mass produced item and duplicate it removing as many of the variables out as you care to and creating a superior product for your application.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #8

Core-Loct pointed soft point 165 grain, Lapua Brass, 45.8 grains of Varget, and Federal 210M primers-- .50 MOA out of my VSF 700 @ 100 yards, prone using my pack for support.

Thought I could get better out of them-- but I just couldn't. I use them in my G3 now. I bought 1000 for $150 shipped.

BTW when I buy 175 SMK's in bulk (500) they come in a plastic bag-- so don't let the loose bullets scare you.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used H4831 with Sierra 130gr bts and have had excellent success. Its a powder that matches up very well in the 270WIN. Give credit where credit is due.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #10

Default Remmys

As far as the loose bag, I had a total of 3 damaged bullets. I set those aside to use as de-fowling shots.