Remanufactured Ammo damages pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Remanufactured Ammo damages pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Remanufactured Ammo damages pistol

My student was firing my Sig P938 using 9mm remanufactured ammo from
3-D Inv. Inc. Doniphan NE when the cartridge split open and backfired. It blew the factory grip on the right side to pieces and she was hit in the face by flying debris. Smoke was coming out of the pistol. I had instructed her to wear glasses but she didn't. The brass cartridge, near the base, had a ruptured split in it. I have never seen this before. I am an NRA Pistol Instructor and NC Certified Firearms Instructor, former Law Enforcement. This could have taken her eye out and was a severe example of not wearing safety glasses. I will never again use remanufactured ammo.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2011 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I had a gun wrecked with factory ammo. Apparently a very hot load possibly a double charge on one round in the box. Gun went bang, bang, bang and boom. No squib to plug the barrel. Similar to what you are describing. It can happen so are you going to stop shooting factory loads too? I have shot many thousands of rounds of commercial reloads and stuff I reloaded with out a problem. I will not shoot a reload someone has done in his garage especially my SILs. I have had more screw ups with factory ammo than reloads.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1664 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 587

The big difference in factory ammo is the company is adequately insured and they issue a recall when the mistake is found. Remanufacturers usually have a poor communication network, so you may never hear about their recall.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-26-2014, 02:37 PM   #4

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

If you are able to identify the brand, load, lot/batch number I'd certainly contact the mfg and pass back the information. The information should be on the inside flat of the box. See what they say.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

any ammo has the potential to have problems, whether it be factory, remanufactered, or reloads done personally.

i would do as suggested and contact the manufacterer of the ammo and give them all the information. they may even reimburse you for the damages to the pistol.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8926 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Jimmy- first, welcome to the forum. When you get a minute, stop by the intro thread and say howdy.

Ref: Remanufactured ammo, and 3 D- I have shot a ton of commercially remanufactured ammo, with no more or less failures than new. 3D was a large player, and has been around for over 25 years. There is a phone listing for them in Doniphan, but can't hookup to their website- they MAY have closed or been bought.

Sounds like a ruptured cartridge case- which could have several possible causes. I WOULD get in touch with them, if you can. And YES- this is why you wear "eyes and ears" when shooting anything. Bear in mind that Winchester and Remington have both had ammo recalls recently- found some rounds had a double powder charge (Whooops!) It can happen to any maker.

I am not uncomfortable shooting commercially re-manned ammo. Amateur handloads? Only my own.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

therewolf Likes This 
Old 04-26-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2868 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 301

To me, the bigger foul is the failure to follow established safety rules. The case failure is why such rules exist. It would appear that your student got a cheap lesson in PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) use. The rule needs to be: No Ear & Eye protection, no shooting, no exceptions.
As for the case failure: excrement occurs. Brand new ammo has problems too. Any product is only as good as the quality control of the manufacturer that day, ammo is no exception.

• It could have been a manufacturing defect/impurity or some such issue that survived the first use of the case, but wasn't willing to tolerate a second.
  • It could have been originally fired in a pistol without full case support (1st & 2nd gen Glocks being the most egregious. Commonly referred to as "Glocked" brass.) Such brass is not exactly rare & it's possible one slipped past the brass inspection process. It's commonly recommended, pretty much everywhere, that brass in this condition (guppy shaped) not be reloaded. Resizing it to spec overworks it, causing it to become brittle/weak.
  • If it was an overcharge, it's probably better that the case failed rather than the pistol - much bigger chunks flying around.
Aside from the sacrificial grip panel, was the pistol actually damaged?
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Last edited by Overkill0084; 04-26-2014 at 05:35 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 421 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 131

I had some remanufactured ammo, what I did notice was that more than a few had the bullet set back to far in the case something to look for.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #9

Liked 2553 Times on 1146 Posts
Likes Given: 2449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
[*]It could have been originally fired in a pistol without full case support (1st & 2nd gen Glocks being the most likely. Commonly referred to as "Glocked" brass.)
Yet another reason to hate glock.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
RKB

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Why did you ALLOW a student to shoot w/o glasses?