Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   reloads (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloads-88960/)

ar15king 04-17-2013 01:15 AM

reloads

Is reload better than stock ammo

Axxe55 04-17-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar15king (Post 1216312)
Is relod beter than stock amo

depends on many different things. define the usage and details and maybe we can make a determination.

ar15king 04-17-2013 01:23 AM

Accuracy and reliability

Axxe55 04-17-2013 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ar15king (Post 1216323)
Acurecy and rilibility

yes and no. it would depend on how much shooting and what the intended usage would be. factory ammo can be very accurate if you find a particular one that works well in the rifle. this true with any firearm actually. most factory ammo is pretty dang reliable.

yes you can make more accurate reloaded ammo than factory, because you can tailor bullet weights, type of bullet an powder charges and make ammo that is fine tuned to a particular firearm. more reliable? depends on the person reloading the ammo and if he knows what he's doing.

ar15king 04-17-2013 01:37 AM

Which is cheaper in the long run

bamashooter68 04-17-2013 05:01 AM

Seriously though. Reloading allows you to use many combinations you may not be able to find. You can tailor a load to your rifle through testing different loads. I think from load to load, consistency is much better with my handloads than factory ammunition which equals accuracy. Price wise, you can easily load a quality round cheaper than you can buy one. I have used brass many times. You can look around and usually find cheap components if you are vigilant. Catch powder and primers or bullets on sale and stock up while the getting is good. As you can see its not always good.

Startup cost will be necessary but will eventually pay off and you will be able to load quality ammunition at a fraction of the cost of factory ammunition.

bigjim 04-19-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Is reload better than stock ammo

1,000,000 per cent.

Jim

locutus 04-19-2013 04:31 PM

Mine is better.

Ammo that I am going to "stockpile," has the primer sealed with lacquer, the bullets sealed into the cases, the brass is polished and inspected, and once fired, the finished rounds are run through a gauge. The ammo is bulk packed on stripper clips in bandoleers and stored in metal cans with dessicant. Cans are opened and inspected every six months, and the dessicant is dried.

My bulk "gonna shoot within 6 months" range ammo,...not so much. Probably not as good as factory.

BlueTurf 04-19-2013 08:24 PM

I reload because it allows me to make custom Ammunition for my firearms. Most of the time my loads are cheaper than factory ammo.

Rick1967 04-19-2013 08:45 PM

It is not just about cost. It is also about variety. I shoot a 255 grain 45 acp at about 800 fps. Go try to buy one. I shoot lead because we do a lot of steel knock down stuff. I have also made some really hot 185 grain jhp stuff. You simply have many more options when you handload. You start shooting what you like the most for a given situation, instead of what they happen to have on the shelf at the big box store.