Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading, yea or nay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 835 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Default Reloading, yea or nay?

Here's my problem... I have a local commercial reloader whose stuff is excellent. Paying as low as $150/1000 for 9mm JHP. i can barely buy the JHP for that little, much less primers, cases (yes I know that's essentially a one time purchase), and powder. I was looking at a Dillion 550 kit that's available for around $1,200 and thinking, this is pretty expensive with no savings.

On a good month I'm lucky to get 1k rounds sent down range.

What say the experts here?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #2

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

You will not save that much. I have a Lee 1000. It is pretty fast. But it is finicky. I have to watch it to make sure it is doing what it is supposed to.

You can buy Berrys Plated Bullets for about .10 each. The primers will cost you about .03 each. And a powder like Titegroup will run about .01 each. So you are looking at about .14 a round.

You are currently paying .15 a round. So you will only save about 10.00 per 1000 rounds. It would take me about 3 hours to load 1000 rounds. That is a guess. I have never loaded that many in one sitting.

However, If you were loading something other than 9mm, or if you were making your own bullets the savings would be considerably more.

I don't reload to save money. I reload as a hobby. It is like shooting to me.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

We don't all reload to save money. Many of us do it to make ammunition that will work very well in our guns. The science of reloading allows us to customize the ammunition for our particular firearm so we can enhance accuracy and performance. To many of us reloading is a hobby and like other hobbies one can spend as much time and money as they are willing and able. If shooting and saving money doing it is what you are looking for I think you found a good deal on ammo.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 01-25-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

$1200 for a 550 is NUTS.

http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html

Cheapest anywhere.

With my 650 I can run 1000 in less than 1.5 hrs.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2706 Times on 1346 Posts
Likes Given: 263

9 mm is actually a fairly poor cartridge to start reloading on, at least using cost savings as the sole justification. Now, if you had a specific need that couldn't be met with bulk ammo, then you have a new variable to account for. I don't shoot huge volumes and I reload for multiple calibers, so it works for me. Plus I like to tinker. I'l be the first to admit it's not always the best option for everyone.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 01-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 835 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
$1200 for a 550 is NUTS.

http://brianenos.com/store/dillon.550.html

Cheapest anywhere.

With my 650 I can run 1000 in less than 1.5 hrs.
That 1,200 is Brian's complete starter kit

Old 01-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
9 mm is actually a fairly poor cartridge to start reloading on, at least using cost savings as the sole justification. Now, if you had a specific need that couldn't be met with bulk ammo, then you have a new variable to account for. I don't shoot huge volumes and I reload for multiple calibers, so it works for me. Plus I like to tinker. I'l be the first to admit it's not always the best option for everyone.
I absolutely agree with you on this. The 9mm really is not a good cartridge to start with when learning the process and science of reloading. There is not much savings to be gained from reloading this round because the target ammo is pretty cheap compared to other popular handgun calibers. I bought some 9mm dies and load this round only because I already had all of the other equipment I needed.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The more I reload the more I shoot so I don't really save any money but it does make shooting more affordable

Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5473 Times on 2860 Posts
Likes Given: 354

reloading for me opens doors to cartridges there would be no way to justify shooting. things like 50AE, 458socom, 458 lott, and match grade 556, 308, 7.62x54r.

cost savings for stuff like 9mm is minimal. what it DOES do for things like 9mm is let me use some of the same materials for other cartridges. the ammount of 45acp and 9mm my wife and i go through each month makes loading it on a progressive loader viable cost wise.

but i just like to reload. i get more ammo for the same money. i dont save anything i just stretch my cash further and have a blast doing it.

reloading opens doors that allows the shooter to tune a cartridge for a rifle or handgun. black hills 308 is around 25-30$ per 20. i can make better rounds for around half that which functions in my rifle better than black hills match grade.

for hunting you get cheaper access to very very very good hunting bullets that arent mass produced. i hunt with my 458winmag. 20 rounds of 500grain hunting ammo can run 130$+. i can load it for around 15$ per 20

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #10

Likes Given: 1

I actually have a buddy who has all the equipment and just lets me use it. I bought some 7mm rem mag dies, and am loading some rounds right now. I was shooting Federal Premium for approximately $52/box. I can load these for anywhere between $12-17/box(depending on if I need to buy brass or not) with better accuracy. I will pay for the dies with 20 rounds reloaded, plus, once again, a more accurate round.