Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading:Wife says I need a hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6593 Times on 3580 Posts
Likes Given: 5688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman59 View Post
Thanks,fellas. I see some videos where they actually measure the shells on a scale. ......

Fellas?

The bad thing about measuring your shells on the scale, is that you already made them, and 'sealed' them. if by now you measure them and find a problem, you have to remove the bullet, and check it out, and start out all over. By measuring carefully, and visually inspecting them as they sit in the tray after they have added powder, you wont have a problem.

I prefer to make my own powder dippers using spent casings, a band saw and grinder, and powder scale to get the desired powder setting.

But that takes patience, and you don't have much of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I would start with a single stage press if I was you. I have a Lee Pro 1000. That is the progressive you are talking about. As a new reloader I would not buy one. It is very finicky. I am always having to make adjustments to it. It is not for the inexperienced.

When you use a single stage press you do not change dies back and forth for each round. You size and decap a bunch of rounds all at once. Then you expand all the mouths, then prime them all. I can reload a box of 50 on my RCBS single stage in about 30 minutes. One thing you can do is to spend an evening one night sizing say 500 cases. Then the next day you expand. And so on. Before you know it you have a ammo can full of 9mm. That is how I started.

And yes...you need a book.
A+++ to what Rick just said

Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 AM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started with the Lee Classic Turret kit and have been very happy with.
Couple of lessons learned from someone who is still new to reloading with only a thousand rounds (9mm, 38 spc, 45ACP) or so of experience.

With the Lee turret be aware that the accuracy of the powder feeder varies with the type of powder you use.

You want to read as much as you can to understand the mechanics and how different powder, bullet weight, overall length, etc., can make the difference between damaging your gun, yourself and or someone else. Loading is a lot more then just putting powder, casing, and bullet together and shooting it.

I found that the estimates Lee posted on how many rounds you can make in an hour on the high side. You could maybe hit their numbers if you just flew through everything and never double checked, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Overall I find reloading a fun hobby and a challenge to get just the right recipe that i like to shoot and is accurate. Just take your time, and learn as much as you can, it is not something you want to rush.

Ken

Old 06-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #13

Liked 186 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Again, I can use all the help I can get.
You can say that again. If you don't want to get a book to learn what should be done and WHY! Then Don't get into reloading. You will just hurt yourself.

Jim
Old 06-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I will get the book. If there is anything in life that I want to get right ( besides the right woman) its reloading.
I guess I just get confused about when I see posts about right recipes. Same caliber, same primer, same 115 gr.projectile, same powder , what recipe?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #15

Liked 971 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman59 View Post
I will get the book. If there is anything in life that I want to get right ( besides the right woman) its reloading.
I guess I just get confused about when I see posts about right recipes. Same caliber, same primer, same 115 gr.projectile, same powder , what recipe?
when people speak of a good recipe it means they have a round that works well in a certain firearm. the lenghts of shells, and of where the bullet is seated in the shel can be vary and thus allower for ore less accuracy. you can change something as little as .010 to .014 and have a slightly different result. but this matters more once you gain a good handle on how its done. for most purupose just staying in the middle ground of load data will produce plinking ammo.

ive been around reloading since i was a kid but still learned things from the ABC's of reloading book. i loved it. and its a really good place to start.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7299 Times on 4239 Posts
Likes Given: 9403

I have used several presses and the turret press is the one that I don't use at all. I gave it away (it was a Lyman). I also have some Lee dies for my .45/70 that I am going to toss in a drawer as soon as I get some better dies from Dillon. My sons and I reload many different calibers, so we make good use of our two Dillons. Also have an RCBS Ammomaster auto progressive that is set up for .40S&W but rarely use it (probably going to sell it someday).

What I would recommend is to get set up with a single-stage O-frame and get used to reloading that way. Eventually you can pick up some more O-frame presses and set one up for each stage if you have the room. That way you can have each die set into its own press and leave them there. It takes a bit of an investment unless you do it the way I do and scrounge all of your equipment. I have only purchased one press outright (the Dillon 550B). The rest have been given to me one way or another.

You will find that your gun will have a preference for a certain powder, a certain weight bullet, a certain primer by a certain manufacturer. They can be very picky this way. With some of my guns the groups will open up as much as 3 or 4 inches using identical components but varying the powder charge by less than a grain of powder. Same can be said for different weight bullets (though you cannot safely use the same powder charge for different weight bullets- something you will learn from reading the books) or different powders. All of these are variables that you can figure out over time, but only with a manual and through keeping notes. Once you have determined what combination of components and what powder charges your guns "like", then you can continue to reload all day long using those components. But if one day you can't find your preferred powder then what will you do?

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info. I want to be safe and enjoy my hobby.