Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Reloading:Wife says I need a hobby (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-wife-says-i-need-hobby-92453/)

Randyman59 06-18-2013 01:18 AM

Reloading:Wife says I need a hobby

Ok, Guys.

I bought a G19 several months ago and love it. Ammo is sometimes difficult to find, but I got to thinking, when it's too nasty outside to go fishing, I could sit and reload. I started looking at getting a sub 2k carbine in 9mm just so I could keep everything one caliber.
Ok, I can't afford the Dillon presses, so I've looked at the Lee presses.
I've watched Youtube videos on single stage presses, and I'm not sure I want to spend that much time changing out the dies. I'm sure it would teach me patience, but then I saw video on Lee press that rotates the die to the next stage. Also, some of these presses have what looks like a ball chain from the bathtub stopper attached to the powder cask.

Also, I keep seeing I would need books. If I only load 9mm, do I really need a book? If I buy 115gr. bullets, I only need to know how much powder to add.

Which brings me to another question. I saw a review on the Keltec Sub 2k that says 115gr. might not have enough blow back to run the gun, but 124gr. would. Since I know nothing about reloading, I'm guessing that adding just a pinch more powder to regular 115gr shells is a no-no.

I've read cons on the Lee Cast Aluminum Pro 1000 Reloading Kit For 9MM Luger, so y'all help me out. Set me straight, will ya?

Thanks

jjfuller1 06-18-2013 02:00 AM

books you say? if you wanted to only make one sort of bomb.. or one sort of dessert.. would you not need a book or recipe? yes.. you need books... you need the ABC's of reloading... under 20 bucks on amazon.. and then at leas 1 reloading manual. most kits will come with one.

for doing pistol ammo a lee turret press would probly be just fine. personally i use a single stage but often wish i had a turret for pistol calibers. rifles are a different story. as far as the keltec. it will shoot 115gr just fine. ive done it... ive hear you cant shoot hollow points only full metal jackets.. but that i have not tried yet.. but full metal jacket 115 gr 9mm shoots just fine.

reloading is not something to play with. you either get series, and follow directions, or you dont and just buy ammo at ths store. up to you.. in time it will save money, and in times of need you will have ammo. but cost effective as a goal is not always the case... you have to figure in your time at the bench, and your components.

but you came to the right place. if you need help we are here for ya.

as far as lee goes its good quality for the price, and it will work to get you started for sure.

Rocky7 06-18-2013 02:27 AM

Reloading for me is a fascinating, absorbing fixation on finding the load that will put a string of bullets into one raggedly hole, preferably at Warp Factor 8. I hunt and have found that 1/2" accuracy or better ramps up my confidence to levels never experienced with store bought ammo. Reloading was supposed to save me money but, many years ago, when I found out it was not saving me money I stopped paying any mind to the numerous big and small widgets I have bought to feed my hobby, which now completely occupies a small room and all the walls therein.

Get an intervention......before it's too late.

Anna_Purna 06-18-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randyman59 (Post 1279307)
........ so I've looked at the Lee presses.
I've watched Youtube videos on single stage presses, and I'm not sure I want to spend that much time changing out the dies.........

Thats where the locking ring is used. Lock it in place with the allen wrench, and it takes up the time to reconfigure it the next time. Only a minor adjustment and measurement is all that is needed. Duh! ;)

domino300 06-18-2013 02:41 AM

The Lee Classic Cast turret press, and a manual, Lyman 49th or get one from whatever bullet maker you prefer, Hornady, Speer etc.

Crazycastor 06-18-2013 02:44 AM

If you don't read up on reloading and how to do it and what to watch for. You could blow up your gun, your hand or injure someone near you. There's alot to understand about reloading such as the right powders, excessive pressures from too much powder. The right kind of primers. Plus you might have to trim your brass and how much to trim it. It's a whole process you have to know about. Check out utube on reloading. That'll give you some ideas. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

fa35jsf 06-18-2013 02:49 AM

I got a single stage Hornady reloading press for Christmas and have reloaded about 500 rounds of .45acp.

I still do not have the ABC reloading book but my kit came with a great manual with all the directions and tips and tricks. I follow the powder recommendations in the manual.

Randyman59 06-18-2013 02:51 AM

Thanks,fellas. I see some videos where they actually measure the shells on a scale. Others just assume the powder is the same for each casing. I see the "book" part. The ABC's of reloading would be one to get. But, I had planned on just the 9mm round, till my dad gave me his Taurus 357 magnum. Now, I'm sure for the time being, I'll stick with loading the 9's and buy the 38's or 357 as I won't shoot it as much. I wouldn't mind the press with the dies attached and after decapping and resizing, turn the turret and do the next stage, then the next stage. Removing and replacing dies each time looks tedious. But, as you say, safety. Tumble, inspect, decap/resize, powder,seat bullet,crimp, etc....
Again, I can use all the help I can get.Looks like the press might sit a while till I find 3 of 4 components. Appreciate you folks....

Rick1967 06-18-2013 03:56 AM

I would start with a single stage press if I was you. I have a Lee Pro 1000. That is the progressive you are talking about. As a new reloader I would not buy one. It is very finicky. I am always having to make adjustments to it. It is not for the inexperienced.

When you use a single stage press you do not change dies back and forth for each round. You size and decap a bunch of rounds all at once. Then you expand all the mouths, then prime them all. I can reload a box of 50 on my RCBS single stage in about 30 minutes. One thing you can do is to spend an evening one night sizing say 500 cases. Then the next day you expand. And so on. Before you know it you have a ammo can full of 9mm. That is how I started.

And yes...you need a book.

nitestalker 06-18-2013 04:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well if reloading doesn't work out there is always Whiskey and Pole dancers.