reloading in an unheated outbuilding
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading in an unheated outbuilding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default reloading in an unheated outbuilding

I need more room for my reloading bench, so I was thinking of moving out of the basement to the garage where I would have more space. The only thing is my garage is unheated, does anyone out there do their reloading in a similar environment ? Would I need to be concerned about rust, humidity etc.. I realize there will be a couple of months in the winter when I won't be able to do much of anything because of the cold, but I can probably work around that. I could add some space heaters, but I would be concerned that I might put myself into a low orbit by doing so. Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5983 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 426

humidity and rust will be big concerns. lots more care will be needed to maintain your equipment and dies. storage of powder and primers in a humid environment can degrade them.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I do it. My press stays wrapped up in a plastic bag when I'm not using it with a few rust inhibiting cards and rust hasn't been a major issue but it is something you need to keep an eye out for. The dies get the same treatment and only one set started to show a little rust from where my hands were sweaty this past summer and since it was only on the outside a little fluid film took care of that.

My primer and powder gets stored in my basement in air tight cans with little moisture absorbing plastic cans just like all my ammo. The actual bullets and brass stay in my out building but that is going to change in the near future. I saw no ill side effects on either but I'm going to put them in ammo cans with my powder so everything stays together.

I would much rather have this stuff it my basement (I dream of having a garage one day...come on economy!!!) but my situation just doesn't allow it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #4

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I do as well.

I have high humidity. I just keep them covered and keep my primers and powder is a cabinet.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:52 AM   #5

I do it as well. But no humidity here.
I do have to adjust my dies as the temp increases or decreases to keep COAL the same, check it often.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks again for the advice and help, I'll keep an eye out for rust, cover my press and store my powder and primers in a tight cabinet.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #7

Liked 53 Times on 33 Posts

You can be smart about it. First hang a double layer of visqueen plastic with about an inch in between the layers surrounding the workbench giving you enough room to work and move around. But creating as small of area as your comfortable. Then cut a slit in the layers offset about a foot to create a doorway. Allow the plastic to drape a little on the floor to help seal it.

NO smoking and make sure you have some air flow so you don't pass out.

Then buy an OIL FILLED electric heater. The type that looks like an old steam radiatior. They have NO open flame and no exposed heated elements. Yet they work VERY well.

if you don't have a ceiling in the garage you can buy a couple sheets of styrofoam insulation board 4' x 8' the 1" thick runs around $20.00 at Home depot. Put that up for a ceiling. It will help keep the heat in.

You could also use the foam board to make a quick up enclosure instead of the Visqueen plastic. It would cost a bit more but work better.

Cold does not cause rust HUMIDITY does.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Awahlster, I had thought about making a small enclosed heated space within the garage. The plastic and the styrofoam panels are an interesting idea. I believe I've seen the plastic you are talking about used on job sites. The oil filled electric heater seems like it may be the only practical option for heat. Thanks for the food for thought ! Thanks to all.