Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Reloading SKS? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-sks-55758/)

Trez 01-18-2012 06:39 PM

Reloading SKS?

I found some norma 5.5mm Berdan primers at the LGS in the "used" section, and I was wondering will these fit the Yugo M67 ammo for the SKS...

As well I have a bunch 150 gr .311 bullets my Arisaka didnt like, Can I load these in my Russian SKS?

cliffspot 01-18-2012 10:44 PM

Why....

..would you go thru all that trouble for an SKS when you can get perfectly good CHEAP steel stuff? And the 150 gr bullet is a little on the heavy side, but you can load it....just make sure you don't go over max over all length, which will cut down on case capacity...that means less powder and less velocity....less reliability. But ....it could be a fun experiment! What cases are you using? Berdan primers won't fit in Boxer cases.

Trez 01-19-2012 12:37 AM

Because I got a bunch of Berdan primers cheap, and I have almost 100- 150 gr. .311 bullets, that none of my other guns will shoot....

Its brass Yugo M67 surplus made for the SKS...

...And I do know the difference between Boxer and Berdan, thats why I specified.... :rolleyes:

Bigdog57 01-19-2012 10:32 AM

Far better, IMHO, to trade or sell the Berdan primers and get the boxer cases. I reload the Remington and Winchester commercial brass, and my SKS's like the 150 grain SP loads.

Sport45 01-19-2012 12:50 PM

Used primers? I wish I'd known there was a market for them. :)

Seriously, Berdan primers come in many sizes. You'd have to check to see if the 5.5mm fits the pockets in your cases. I don't know if Berdan comes in pistol and rifle flavors so I can't say if they'd handle the pressure. It may be that if they fit they'll work, but I don't know. Do you have a pick for removing the old primers or will you do it hydraulically?

Trez 01-19-2012 03:00 PM

Do you know anybody who wants Berdan stuff???

I already have tons of the berdan brass I was just throwing in my scrap pile, So when I seen a "new" 250 pack of Berdan primers for $3.. I figured what the hell, I can at least get a few reloads outta them...
Im not gonna start reloading Berdan on the regular..
I usually just buy the cheap surplus stuff for my SKS as it just spreads the brass, and I spend more time looking for the brass than shooting it....

Im just gonna make a hydraulic primer remover, I guess we'll see if they fit or not... I suppose I could use them in my 7.62x54 cases as well, I have Berdan brass for that too...

So a 150 gr. bullet wont hurt the gas system? No M1 type issues?

I guess mainly I just want to figure out a way to use some components I would have no other way of using...

Rick1967 01-19-2012 03:09 PM

I load 150 grain gas checked lead cast bullets in brass cases for my SKS. I have to clean it real well including the piston system. But 150 grain is no problem. I use boxer primed stuff though.