Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading for the Ruger convertible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Reloading for the Ruger convertible

I have a Ruger 357 mag/ 9mm Blackhawk convertible. I was reading were a shooter was loading 125 gr 357 bullets in a 9mm brass to get better accuracy from the 9mm cylinder. While I am sure I can seat the bullets I am concerned the empty cases are going to be stuck in the cylinder.

Has any one ever tried doing this?

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

The 9mm uses a dedicated cylinder, correct? The .357/.358 bullet may bulge the 9mm case to the point it will not chamber in the 9mm cylinder. I would not worry about cases getting stuck, they will fireform to the cylinder and "spring back". If they chamber, they should work.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #3

He must have sanded the 9mm cylinder. I can't get a 357 bullet into the 9mm cylinder. That's just the bullet not including the brass. Sanding out the 9mm cylinder defeats the purpose of having it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5082 Times on 2891 Posts
Likes Given: 4244

I've had two Ruger convertibles over the years. IMHO, the 9MM/.357 is one of those ideas that really looks good on paper but doesn't work out all that well in practice.

When MilSurp 9MM was available dirt cheap, I used a lot of it in Rugers for informal, short range plinking, but it loses accuracy fast past about 15 yards. (At least, both of my guns did)

For pure Accuracy, my best results came with 148 gr hollow base full wadcutters, loaded in .357 cases over 3.2-3.5 grains of Bullseye.

My best all around load in these weapons was a Lyman 168 grain (linotype) cast (358-429??) over a MAX charge of H-110.

Surprisingly, my most accurate jacketed bullet load was the Remington 125 GR. JHP, again over a max charge of H110.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #5

I got the convertible due to all the ammo shortages and my wife had a fear of large revolvers. My wife now loves shooting the 357. That was worth the extra $60 for the convertible. I still have the 9mm cylinder if 357 ammo becomes hard to find. Yes, the 9mm seems to have more pop from the 6.5" barrel but the range is very limited. My P95 will make the BlackHawk look bad with 9mm ammo. With Double tap 200 gr cast loads the BlackHawk makes the P95 look real bad. I use the BlackHack for hunting. I have never shot a wadcutter bullet with it. I am searching for loads that will knock almost any critter down right there on the spot.

I have a 3/8 mild steel swinging target I have shot hundreds of times with 158 gr JSP ammo. The first time I shot it with a Double Tap I was headed to the shop to weld up the hole in my target.

Edit: I posted CorBon Ammo but the 200 gr ammo was Double Tap. Don't want to put anyone looking for something that doesn't exist.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-28-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I shoot regular old 9mm loads in my 357/9mm BH,haven't tried any cast loads however plated and jacketed 9mm bullets have always shot well in the 9mm cylinder.

Berry's 115 gr. RN

Berry's 124 gr. HP'

Last edited by res45; 10-28-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #7

Liked 676 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Everything Ive shot outta my Medusa so far seems to be pretty accurate... Naturally different calibers have different POI.
All of it has been factory stuff, havent got into reloading for it yet.....

Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by res45 View Post
I shoot regular old 9mm loads in my 357/9mm BH,haven't tried any cast loads however plated and jacketed 9mm bullets have always shot well in the 9mm cylinder.
When you measure factory ammo none of it reads 355. Some factory FMJ bullets are as small as .394. You are sure to get better results from reloaded 9mm ammo with quality bullets. The only 9mm factory ammo I have measured that was consistently 355 was American Eagle 147 gr flat nose. Ruger states in the owners manual to only shoot jacketed/plated ammo from the 9mm cylinder. They have a reasonable explanation but I can't quote it accurately.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
You are sure to get better results from reloaded 9mm ammo with quality bullets.
I misstated by saying regular old 9mm loads when I really meant reloads since that all I really shoot in the 9mm conversion cylinder. I have shot some factory 9mm ammo in it before Win. USA and CCI Aluminum case and Wolf steel case ammo.

The Win. ammo was all over the place the CCI did well and was fairly accurate since it's loaded with plated bullet and the Wolf was between the two.

Wolf Target 115 gr. FMJ