reloading question on 30-06

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > reloading question on 30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default reloading question on 30-06

Finally got everything to reload my 30-06 and made 10 rounds. Just want to make sure I did and understand this part. Made my round to the max per my book and they wouldn't load in my gun so I kept adjusting the bullet further into the case and then I would put it into my rifle to make sure it would load. I used a match to soot up the bullet to make sure it wasn't hitting the lands and grooves (no ring around the bullet). My question is how far back should the bullet be from the lands and grooves. And how do you know if your rifle likes it closer or further back when shooting? Are the bullets not holding a tight pattern on the target or are they shooting high or low.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2013, 01:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 754 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 349

Quote:
My question is how far back should the bullet be from the lands and grooves.
No real definite answer, every rifle and every bullet is different. Trial and error is the only way to find out for sure. Just make sure your bullet is seated deep enough for adequate neck tension, the round fits into the Mag, the round cycles and feeds.

Personally, I like to Start at .020 off and go shorter when fine tuning. YMMV.

Quote:
And how do you know if your rifle likes it closer or further back when shooting? Are the bullets not holding a tight pattern on the target or are they shooting high or low
Not holding a tight "group" shotguns shoot "patterns", rifles shoot groups.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
Finally got everything to reload my 30-06 and made 10 rounds. Just want to make sure I did and understand this part. Made my round to the max per my book and they wouldn't load in my gun so I kept adjusting the bullet further into the case and then I would put it into my rifle to make sure it would load. I used a match to soot up the bullet to make sure it wasn't hitting the lands and grooves (no ring around the bullet). My question is how far back should the bullet be from the lands and grooves. And how do you know if your rifle likes it closer or further back when shooting? Are the bullets not holding a tight pattern on the target or are they shooting high or low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
No real definite answer, every rifle and every bullet is different. Trial and error is the only way to find out for sure. Just make sure your bullet is seated deep enough for adequate neck tension, the round fits into the Mag, the round cycles and feeds.

Personally, I like to Start at .020 off and go shorter when fine tuning. YMMV.

Not holding a tight "group" shotguns shoot "patterns", rifles shoot groups.
Mseric is pretty much spot on. every rifle is different and every bullet is different. that's the beauty of reloading. finding what's perfect for your rifle instead of one size fits all factory ammo.

personally, i use a black majic marker and coat the entire bullet. i make a dummy round for this procedure as the first one. i usually back mine off about .050 as my starting point or max OAL.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:02 AM   #4

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had this problem to. It turned out i needed to full lengh resize not just neck size the brass. Once i did that i was good to go.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post
I had this problem to. It turned out i needed to full lengh resize not just neck size the brass. Once i did that i was good to go.
Duddie, he's talking about the seating depth of the bullet in the case. not whether to F/L or neck size the case.

seating depth can play a huge factor in the performance and accuracy of the round. a lot of reloaders shallow seat bullets so they are closer to the rifling.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

On my bolt actions,I will start at .015" off the lands and run from minimum to max powder charges for each bullet I want to shoot in each rifle. When I find the best load,then I'll seat the bullets at .010"-.020"-.025" off the lands,and try them. Sometimes you will have good results with small changes in seating depth.

On my Semi-auto's,I start at max magazine length,and then work backward on seating depth.

Always look for pressure signs on your brass when working up loads,the closer you seat the bullets to the lands,the faster the pressure will show signs on your brass. You may be nowhere near a maximum load before the signs show up.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5744 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

I start at .005 off of the lands and work back if necessary.

IME, the closer to the lands, the more accurate.

When I shot .30-06 in competition, some of my loads were loaded way down but actually touched the lands. (but just barely)

I use Sinclair comparators and bullet seating measuring equipment.

Winston Churchill
wizard63 Likes This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #8

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I appreciate the help guys. I want to say my are set back around .010, maybe .005. Its hard to tell with the lead tip bullets. Going out to test them out Sunday morning. See how they shoot.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I appreciate the help guys. I want to say my are set back around .010, maybe .005. Its hard to tell with the lead tip bullets. Going out to test them out Sunday morning. See how they shoot.
Castor, also remember that if you change bullets brand or weight, that you need to start all over again in shallow seating them, as ever bullet is different. the length of the bullet as well as it's shape.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5744 Times on 3251 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Castor, also remember that if you change bullets brand or weight, that you need to start all over again in shallow seating them, as ever bullet is different. the length of the bullet as well as it's shape.
That's the beauty of the Sinclair comparator. It doesn't measure OAL, but instead measures the length from the point on the ogive where the bullet diameter equals groove diameter. That allows you to change bullet shape and keep the same distance off the rifling.

Winston Churchill
People Like This