Reloading question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reloading question

I am used to reloading my ammo right out of my manuals, but recently, due to the economy and the lack of available supplies, I decided to try Barry's plated bullets in 147 gr 9mm. I am unable to find a direct recipe for these bullets. I understand the important factor is the sectional density. My manual says the sec density for a 147 gr FMJ bullet is 0.167, but a plated bullet will be different, won't it? Or, am I splitting hairs?
Thanks for any help.

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."
- GEORGE WASHINGTON (from his Farewell Address, 1796) .

Last edited by ChuckMc1; 05-14-2009 at 03:23 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Sectional density?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckMc1 View Post
I am used to reloading my ammo right out of my manuals, but recently, due to the economy and the lack of available supplies, I decided to try Barry's cast bullets in 147 gr 9mm. I am unable to find a direct recipe for these bullets. I understand the important factor is the sectional density. My manual says the sec density for a 147 gr FMJ bullet is 0.167, but a cast bullet will be different, won't it? Or, am I splitting hairs?
Thanks for any help.
ChuchMc, you have to be the first handloader I have ever seen that was concerned at all on sectional density on a PISTOL load. To me that spec. is not of a concern.My Lyman 48th Reloading Handbook lists a Speer TMJ #4006 147gr. at 0.167SD-Lyman cast #356637 147gr. at 0.166SD. The difference is due to the TMJ is .355dia.-Lyman cast is .356dia. Are your Berry's bullets Hard Cast, or Plated? My Handbook lists 12 different powders for the TMJ bullet, and 13 different powders for the Lyman cast 147gr. bullet. Should be easy to find your own recipe for your 147gr. 9mm, but I don't worry about Sectional Density in handgun loads.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 05-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
ChuchMc, you have to be the first handloader I have ever seen that was concerned at all on sectional density on a PISTOL load. To me that spec. is not of a concern.My Lyman 48th Reloading Handbook lists a Speer TMJ #4006 147gr. at 0.167SD-Lyman cast #356637 147gr. at 0.166SD. The difference is due to the TMJ is .355dia.-Lyman cast is .356dia. Are your Berry's bullets Hard Cast, or Plated? My Handbook lists 12 different powders for the TMJ bullet, and 13 different powders for the Lyman cast 147gr. bullet. Should be easy to find your own recipe for your 147gr. 9mm, but I don't worry about Sectional Density in handgun loads.
OK, maybe I didn't make myself very clear and I must have edited my post after you read it. These are the plated bullets. I was told that the sectional density would be different than a FMJ and the only recipe I have is for a FMJ in this cal. and grain of bullet. My qestion is, should I use a recipe for a FMJ in the same grain bullet as the plated bullet and is the difference so minimal that it is of no real concern?
All I'm trying to do is be sure I'm reloading responsibly. My kids might be shooting these rounds. I also wouldn't want to damage my new XD

Old 05-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I don't for see a problem with loading using data for a FMJ and not a platted. I use FMJ and lead in my 45acp and use the same amount for each.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
OK, maybe I didn't make myself very clear and I must have edited my post after you read it. These are the plated bullets. I was told that the sectional density would be different than a FMJ and the only recipe I have is for a FMJ in this cal. and grain of bullet. My qestion is, should I use a recipe for a FMJ in the same grain bullet as the plated bullet and is the difference so minimal that it is of no real concern?
All I'm trying to do is be sure I'm reloading responsibly. My kids might be shooting these rounds. I also wouldn't want to damage my new XD
Powder volume is based solely on bullet length & weight and subsequent pressure developed, not bullet construction. Terminal performance is a function of bullet construction. Sectional density is only a concern when comparing the BC (ballistic coefficient) of various bullet designs. A cursory glance at any reloading manual will reveal that loads are based on bullet weights, not sectional density...
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-14-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9150 Times on 3952 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

Would agree with one exception- loads for lead cast bullets are generally slower than for jacketed (full or semi) due to problems with leading up a barrel. Plated bullets tend to reduce leading.

Berry's (not Barry's) reccomends limiting loads to 1200 fps or less.

A plated bullet will have a VERY thin layer of plating metal over lead, vs a jacketed bullet, that has a significant layer of gilding metal (usually copper/nickel alloy)

Bottom line- I would use load data for a lead cast bullet with plated bullets.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2860 Times on 1490 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Plated bullets tend to "act like cast bullets" as far as pressures and velocities for a given charge. They just are much less likely to lead the barrel. You can use the same data as you would for a 147gr FMJ, BUT your velocity may be higher than with the FMJ. Generally jacketed bullets are more "sticky" than cast or plated bullets and take more powder to acheive a given velocity.

As with any load developemnt, reduce and work up. You will likely find that you there is a sweet spot about 1/2 - 1 1/2 grains under max in the 9mm.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Would agree with one exception- loads for lead cast bullets are generally slower than for jacketed (full or semi) due to problems with leading up a barrel. Plated bullets tend to reduce leading.

Berry's (not Barry's) reccomends limiting loads to 1200 fps or less.

A plated bullet will have a VERY thin layer of plating metal over lead, vs a jacketed bullet, that has a significant layer of gilding metal (usually copper/nickel alloy)

Bottom line- I would use load data for a lead cast bullet with plated bullets.
This is all you need to do. I also load plated bullets in my 40. C3shooter is right on the money.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:25 PM   #9

Thank you guys for the info. I would rather be safe than sorry and would rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.
Thanks again, Chuck

Old 05-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Great to be Safe!!

Quote:
Thank you guys for the info. I would rather be safe than sorry and would rather ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.
Thanks again, Chuck
Good call Chuck. I load 124 or 125gr Berry's Plated Bullets usually right in-between cast/jacketed specs.(Hi side of cast/Lo side of JHP). They/ along with all I load for my CZ P-01 do well. The usual rule-of-thumb, is to keep Hard Cast Bullets at, or below 1000fps. to avoid excessive leading of the barrel. Some will load above that speed, but I am lazy when it comes to De-Leading my barrels! HA!!
Also Chuck, it's Great to see you sharing our favorite hobby, with your children. As the Wife, and I did- Teach them young, proper firearms safety, and work to avoid mistakes later on. We worked with 4-(Now the oldest 33-the youngest 24), and they all practice proper firearms etiquette.:

NRA Life MEMBER 1976