which reloading press is for me. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > which reloading press is for me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I'll kick in a vote for the RCBS Rock Chucker. That's what I started with and if you want to get in cheap, you can sometimes find them used for a song.

The RCBS kit, however is a decent bargain and you get everything you need to get started in a painless manner. If you start reloading, you will probably find that you shoot more because it costs less to shoot more rounds.... and so it begins.

If you find you enjoy reloading, (many do but some don't), then expand to shotgun or to a progressive press (or both) as needed. If you go progressive, I will endorse Dillon. Great presses and even better support. They just went through my 19 yr old Square Deal, replaced all worn parts and upgraded other parts that had been re-designed over the years for the cost of a clean & lube of the press ($25.00) with no charge for parts and did in it 6 working days. That's service to write home about!

The reading material recommended is spot on and there are also DVD's available from different companies (Cabela's has some) and manufacturers that might help as well as on-line tutorials (Hornady is quite extensive) plus what can be found just by going to Bing.com and typing in "How to reload ammunition".

Good luck and happy reloading.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Rock Chucker or Reloader special for rifle loading and a MEC press 600 Jr. Is a good solid starter press. I know a guy that had 6 MES 600's One for him each of the kids and his wife. They would hold a huge part every 4th of july and the month before they family would sit out in the reloading room and load like hell. We would burn up every last shell they could load too shooting skeet.

I am currently working on a big article about this very subject. Should be done in a couple of weeks I hope.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:32 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

so now what if i wanted to get a speed loader. because i have looked into it. and i mine as well spend some extra money and get the good stuff. im looking to buy tge tyrret press deluxe reloading kit.

good bad? tell me about it.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Turrets are faster than a single stage as you can put all your dies on one turret For rifle you can put your sizer and deprimer then a powder measure then a seater die for 2 different calibers on each turret.

The produce good ammo and allow ease of use plus single stage precision.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:13 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you're talking about the Lee turret press kit, I would suggest the Classic over the standard turret press. The press in the Classic Turret Press Kit is a much stronger press and will have the capacity to reload the longer rifle rounds. The press in the Deluxe kit won't reload rounds like the 30-06 and 7mm Rem-Mag with the auto-index feature enabled, you'll have to use it like manual turret or single stage press. The standard turret press also has an aluminum base, handle and some of the linkage is aluminum too. The Classic Turret Press has a cast iron base, steel linkage and handle, just a much stronger press overall and you will be able to use the auto-index with your longer rifle rounds.

The kit linked above is a , I bought mine about 5 years ago and it's been a great press for everything from 9mm Makarov to 270 Winchester. It's about twice the price of the Deluxe kit, but you get twice the press. You also get the Pro Auto-Disk powder measure, it's a little more user friendly than the regular auto-disk measure.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cabela's: Lee Classic Turret Press Reloading Kit

thats what i bought. now what else do i need to start reloading, besides from the primers and bullets?
im going to buy the master book that tells you what the specs are and everything. but for now i just bought the press, (its on back order) oh well.. lol
Thanks guys!

Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You'll need a set of dies for each cartridge of course, and to keep costs down I would wait for the manual and see if you can get one powder to load all three cartridges. Sometimes it's hard to find a load with certain powders, I had this problem with my 9 Luger, 9 Makarov and 45ACP. I would have a bottle of powder that would work with two of three, but couldn't find a load with the weight bullet I wanted to use on the third cartridge. If you plan to order your primers and powders online, I would try to get them at the same place, that way you'll just have the one HAZMAT charge.

You may need the case trimmers as well, the Lee case trimmers are cheap at about $5 each, but a little slow in trimming. A few other items like a deburring tool, primer pocket cleaners if you're using once-fired brass. A set of calipers will be needed to measure cartridge length, case length etc. etc, Cabela's has a set for $25, Lyman has some for about the same price.

I'm sure there's a few other items you'll need to get started, but I can't remember what exactly. I'll have to compare the kit you ordered with the essential tools needed to get some ammunition loaded.

Last edited by Eric0424; 02-24-2011 at 03:51 PM.