Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > which reloading press is for me.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default which reloading press is for me.

what will be the best reloader to reload 30-06 , 444 marlin and a remington 700 7mm mag/ and 12 guage shotgun. can someone help me out. thanks

btw im still doing my research im not going to just throw some black powder in a casing with a primer and see how she does. im going to research and read books. but i need some advice!
Thanks again
-Brett

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

rcbs makes really nice starter kits for single stage loading. cheap easy to start. mec makes cheap shotgun loaders.

my pref is for the dillon stuff but its a bit pricer but more user friendly.

others will have different opinions.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-21-2011, 02:35 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Any good single stage press like the RCBS kit mentioned will handle all your metallic cartridge needs. A progressive press will be faster, but they are more expensive, a little harder to set up/maintain, and aren't as quick to change calibers. You shouldn't need a progressive however unless you are going through hundreds of rounds a week.

Shotgun is going to require a different press setup.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #4

Liked 269 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I started with the RCBS kit and expended form there. Worked out good for me.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dillon 550 for metallic reloading and Mec 650 for shot shells will be adequate unless you going into high-production mode.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Shotgun shells need a different press from metallic cartridges.
Read a couple of manuals and determine for yourself what you need.
Metallic:
How many rounds?
I consider the Lee Classic Turret to be about as good as one needs for loading rifle cartridges.
A single-stage press is OK. I would recommend the Lee Challenger, the Hornady L-N-L classic, or the Forster Co-Ax (in order of cost and "niceness").
I don't consider bottleneck cartridges as being very applicable to a progressive press. A progressive lives up to the manufacturer's claims only if loading straightwall cases.
I consider the Hornady L-N-L AP to be the equal of any progressive currently on the market, except the Dillon 1050 and other "commercial" level presses. It is the best progressive I have ever used without a case feeder. With a case feeder, I would go with the Dillon 650. If I was going to load several cartridges on the press, though, I would quickly go back to the Hornady.
Shotgun:
In general they are either relatively inexpensive and barely adequate or they are expensive and complicated. MEC has always been the brand to compare other presses against.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i only go out and shoot about 20-50 at a time. in one month. i dont need anything to reload 500 rounds, iid just like to save money. (3 boxes of ammo=120.00)
so my second question is. what exactly will i need? brushes? tumbler?
how would i measure the black powder you put in the brass? just curious on a couple of things

Old 02-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1805 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Moneymaker,

As the guys have stated there is a Press for Shotgun and a Press for cartridge weapons. I would suggest you start by buying the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit as they mentioned if you are serious about reloading. It is a basic press and will last you a lifetime if you take care of it. Mine is at least close to 30 years old and still works. And you can get parts for them if you need them. Plus die availability is almost unlimited. I load everything with it from 38 ca. Pistol to 7 MM Remington Mag. Rifle. Can't beat it!
Good luck but buy quality equipment! I recently splurged and after all these years I bought a Lyman 1200 Auto Powder Measure! It is the best money I have spent and sure saves time and my eyes since I was still using a standard (Balance Weight) powder scale and those lines start to fade together if loading a lot of rounds.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:02 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker17 View Post
i only go out and shoot about 20-50 at a time. in one month. i dont need anything to reload 500 rounds, iid just like to save money. (3 boxes of ammo=120.00)
so my second question is. what exactly will i need? brushes? tumbler?
how would i measure the black powder you put in the brass? just curious on a couple of things
I would suggest you start with buying the Lee and Hornady reloading manuals then reading them, most of your questions will be answered in them as well as a lot of other things you'll need to know. Then start looking into a single stage press or kit, with the amount you shoot you won't need a progressive or turret press. That will help with metallic reloading, I don't know much about the shot-shell reloading.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 AM   #10

Liked 58 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Yes. Reloading Manuals

I suggest the Lyman (latest edition, 49 I think.)

Read the introduction part, not the loading data. This will give you an idea of what you are getting into and an idea of what you'll need. And if it scares you off, you're only out the price of the manual - which is valuable information even if you don't reload.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/