Reloading noob - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #21
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
the biggest area to make a mistake in, that could cause potential problems is charging the cases with powder. check and double check your powder charges. under and over charges can have very bad results for you and the firearm. remember safety first.

also if you so desire to add a progressive or turret press in the future, the single stage can still be useful for many operations of reloading. i have one cheap single stage that is used mostly for just crimping bullets and depriming.
as usual, Axxe has it nailed! After a double charge snuck by a friend of mine he added one step: placing each round on one of those small digital scales to see if the weight was correct for a loaded round. No more surprises since he started doing that.

The difference between progressive or turret seems to be volume. If you don't need a progressive, why waste the money? But if you shoot 5,000 rounds a month, you'll not have time to shoot without a progressive! Most serious shooters that own progressives do keep a turret press just for small jobs and experimentation - there are a few things progressives don't do well.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #22

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well got my press in. Just placed the order for everything else and another manual from midway. Going to pick up a bench in the morning. And I almost forgot instead of ordering brass I just got 500 round from Dixie ammo dump to shoot then I will have some starter brass. Lol.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMatt72 View Post
Well got my press in. Just placed the order for everything else and another manual from midway. Going to pick up a bench in the morning. And I almost forgot instead of ordering brass I just got 500 round from Dixie ammo dump to shoot then I will have some starter brass. Lol.
good luck and remember safety first. check and double check yourself.

i too buy factory ammo from time to time just to have a source of brass for reloading. mainly for the semi auto pistols, because i never seem to recover the amount i shoot for some reason!

Old 08-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I've always wondered if you can you different brand dies in the different presses because I have Rcbs does because my father in law has an rcbs press but I'm looking to get my own and lee right now has a really good deal thur midway for a press set and just wondered if my dies would for them our not.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:17 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I've always wondered if you can you different brand dies in the different presses because I have Rcbs does because my father in law has an rcbs press but I'm looking to get my own and lee right now has a really good deal thur midway for a press set and just wondered if my dies would for them our not.
Lee states that most dies will fit in them and say RCBS is one of them.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMatt72 View Post
Lee states that most dies will fit in them and say RCBS is one of them.
most of the major die and press manufacteres use the same size and thread pitch on their dies and presses. so they will interchange. i use many Lee brand dies in my RCBS press. the exception might be the 50BMG dies as they are larger and taller and usually have a different (much larger) prees and dies.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #27

Well my big box from Midway USA came in. Now just waiting on my bench. I ordered the Stack-on steel bench. And Walmart had the best price on line. Everyone else had the exact same one for 150-200 bucks. I got it for 70 shipped for free to the store.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #28

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

I'll ask the question here instead of starting a new thread. I hope thats ok. I'm also a newbie when it comes to reloading. Can someone recommend a good all around guide or handbook for reloading??

Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #29

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

ABC's of Reloading is pretty much a must have. I also like my Hornaday manual.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnklump View Post
I'll ask the question here instead of starting a new thread. I hope thats ok. I'm also a newbie when it comes to reloading. Can someone recommend a good all around guide or handbook for reloading??
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
ABC's of Reloading is pretty much a must have. I also like my Hornaday manual.
JD's suggestion of a book is an excellent book for a beginner or a veteran reloader. i have that book and will without hesitation recommend it.

check out also Lee's Modern Reloading load data book. lots of good information in there. check out the stickies in this section of the forum.