Reloading noob
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Reloading noob

Have been wanting to get into reloading for years! I have talked to guys that do it and now after reading a ton on it and watching you tube videos on it I am ready. I just don't know what set up to go with. Should I start cheaper and get a single or turret style or should I go ahead and get a progressive reloader? Been looking at brands and the pros and cons of the different brands and styles. I want to start off right. Any ideas would be great!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #2

Likes Given: 1

It depends on what you want to load. For pistols I would go with a progressive. For rifles a single. That's just me. Also the stickies have good info.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I would suggest you get something in a single stage press to begin with. I got a Lee 50th Anniversary kit for about $100, which was money well spent.

I shoot every day but not large quantities of ammo; so I don't see me needing anything more than my cute little press.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #4

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I am super new to reloading, so take what I say with a block of salt. I went with a single stage, for no other reason than cost. I was not sure if I would like it, although I had a feeling I would because I tend to like things that involve gear, process and ritual. So I went with a Lee Challenger Breech Lock kit. After I purchased brass, lead, powder, primers, dies, a manual etc I was at $375. I load .45, .357 and .38 (right now, I plan on adding 9mm soon). After loading a few weeks, I am sure at some point I will buy a progressive, but I am sure I will keep the single. I can see this turning into as much of hobby as the act of shooting itself. If you have the cash and think you will really like, a progressive would be nice but as a newb there looks like there is more that could go wrong.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #5

Yeah I want to reload 380 40 556 and 308.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #6

Likes Given: 1

It's best to start with a single stage so you can learn the process step by step. Besides, you'll always need a single stage for special projects. Then, after you have some experience, you can step up to a progressive if you want. If you don't have a copy of 'The ABC's of reloading', I would suggest getting it and reading it before starting. It is the best reloading instruction book available. Lyman and Lee also have good instructions in their manuals.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #7

I have read ABC's of reloading some and have a copy on the way. I was looking at midway and for the little extra would the Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index Deluxe Kit be a better start or a true single stage kit?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #8

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

If time is not a factor go with a Lee single stage, put on some relaxing music and have a nice evening reloading. If you need to go faster you can always upgrade in the future. Hell, I still use a little Lee Classic reloader when I just want to relax and waste some time.

The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

my suggestion for a new reloader is the single stage press to start with, because this way you are forced to take one step at a time and learn the procedures and cuts down on making mistakes. get into a routine and follow it. do one thing at a time so as not to make mistakes. the biggest area to make a mistake in, that could cause potential problems is charging the cases with powder. check and double check your powder charges. under and over charges can have very bad results for you and the firearm. remember safety first.

also if you so desire to add a progressive or turret press in the future, the single stage can still be useful for many operations of reloading. i have one cheap single stage that is used mostly for just crimping bullets and depriming.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #10

I agree with a few of these comments. I like the lee single for getting started. I started on a Rcbs single... It was nice to learn the steps. And it wasnt about the speed for me. Now I've used a Dillion 450 that my father in law had from years ago. We recently purchased a 650. It is magical. That being said it is really nice to have a rock chucker that I use for rifle rounds. I think the idea that you could always upgrade in the future makes the single stage the best bet... And I have bought a lot through midway. Good prices and good service.