Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 11:29 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 209 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Electric can be ok but make sure you get calibration weights and check the scale periodically. I weigh on my electric and then recheck a couple on my old lee beam scale. After a few charges check out then i load cases...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 11-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the RCBS master kit and like it very much. I say get your press out and set it up. Then start sizing some brass. Go slow and be careful. I'm a hands on guy that's the way I learn best. But I've been reloading most of my life since my dad reloaded before I was even born. I too suffer from being a "brass whore "...that's what we affectionally call it. We often spend more time picking up brass than shooting. It's really a lifestyle. I watch movies and when the character lays down suppressive fire I think, "man, I'd like to pick up that brass"...lol!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's a gun show coming into Baton Rouge soon. Any chances I could find some good deals on reloading equipment? I've only been to it once before and was pretty disappointed. Any tips on finding good deals at a gun show?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:51 AM   #34

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpittm2
There's a gun show coming into Baton Rouge soon. Any chances I could find some good deals on reloading equipment? I've only been to it once before and was pretty disappointed. Any tips on finding good deals at a gun show?
The only thing thats worked for me is dont buy the first thing you find that you need. Look around and try to find it somewhere else at the gun show. Sometimes you can find a better deal if you do some searching and try to haggle the price down even if you know its a good deal.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV
On the other hand, Rifle loads not having enough powder can maim or kill you. Be very careful to inspect your bullets before you seat them.
Depends on which powder you use. If you use H4895 you can do a perfectly safe reduced recoil load per the powder manufactures instructions. I've done well over 300 reduced recoil loads for my 7yo daughter and all of them have shot without a trace of over pressure.

Because of this, she has learned to love shooting with me and is now able to shoot a full load. The commercials loads were to hot for her and made her flinch. Well, because of reduced recoil load she was able to overcome that and loves shooting now. Since the beginning, I've now been able to up the charge to a start load. It was just in the beginning when I was trying to get her into it.

With all that said, reduced recoil loads DO have their place in the world of reloading.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:59 AM   #36

Liked 209 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Got to say i love reduced loads too. When you shoot as much as i do the lighter loads leave me feeling better at the end of the day.
44 special loads and light 200 grain bullets are my favorites in the 44 magnum. 50-100 rounds don't leave you feelng like raw meat like my max hunting load does.
Try the gluegun bullets for a true ultralight. Just utube search it, amaziing idea...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 11-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #37

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTexanBoy View Post
Depends on which powder you use. ............With all that said, reduced recoil loads DO have their place in the world of reloading.
Thanks Dan, what caliber does she shoot?

Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #38

Well my daughter is 45 pounds soaking wet so she very petite. She shoots a .223 Rossi single shot. Even the commercial loads would hurt her shoulder since she is so small for her age. Hence the reason for starting her out on a reduced recoil load. She is one of the main reasons I got into reloading. I was searching the net and saw these reduced recoil loads and I told my self I bet I can do that, and did. Now she loves to shoot and I've been able to up the charge to the max side of her comfort level.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #39

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alright guys after reading The ABC's of Reloading twice and finally getting my shop and work area fixed up the way i want it I am ready to place my order for my reloading press....

Right now i have a cart made on midwayusa.com with the following in it:
Hornady Lock n Load AP Progressive Press
Hornady powder measure micrometer for handgun and another for rifle
3 pack of bushings
Hornady 9mm 3 die set
Hornady 7.62x39 2 die set
Hornady .223 Remington 2 die set (will this reload 5.56???)
Hornady Shellpates for all three
Hornady Shellhholder 5 pack
Hornady One shot dry lubricant

So comments please...Anything I'm missing? or ordering and dont really need? i.e. extra bushing/shellplate holders (going to get the sonic cleaner and a digital scale when funds replenish) Also will the .223 die also reload 5.56? anyone have any experirence with the micrometer measures? are they necessary?

thanks for all of the advice in this thread and any future advice coming...great forum

Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #40

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Nevermind. Didnt read correctly.

Last edited by TheAlmightyBob; 02-04-2013 at 09:40 PM.