Reloading Newbie - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 01:30 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
i have to agree with Shade that starting with a single stage press is much better for a beginner. allows you to concentrate on the steps and learn procedures.
Thats what ive been told. I just got a RCBS rock chucker supreme and there was a rebate on it also. All together im in about $450 for the kit, .38/357 die 100 bullets and primers and a pound of powder. I have yet to pull the press out of the box and set it up because im trying to read and learn more before i make any rounds. So it might take another month for me to read a couple more books and get the manuals. I only have the speer manual that came with the kit right now, trying to figure out what other manuals are good to buy. But its in the process and I will defenitly be getting my money out of it pretty soon. Im planning on setting up my press in the den of my house this winter when i have the time.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22284 Times on 12466 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Thats what ive been told. I just got a RCBS rock chucker supreme and there was a rebate on it also. All together im in about $450 for the kit, .38/357 die 100 bullets and primers and a pound of powder. I have yet to pull the press out of the box and set it up because im trying to read and learn more before i make any rounds. So it might take another month for me to read a couple more books and get the manuals. I only have the speer manual that came with the kit right now, trying to figure out what other manuals are good to buy. But its in the process and I will defenitly be getting my money out of it pretty soon. Im planning on setting up my press in the den of my house this winter when i have the time.
Fupuk, get the book, "The ABC's Of Reloading" the most current edition. available at Amazon.com usually about $15 or less if used. very good book for beginners and veteran reloaders. will explain the process and the equipment needed to start. another good book, "Lee's Modern Reloading Manual" very good book for cheap and is also a good load data book.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Fupuk, get the book, "The ABC's Of Reloading" the most current edition. available at Amazon.com usually about $15 or less if used. very good book for beginners and veteran reloaders. will explain the process and the equipment needed to start. another good book, "Lee's Modern Reloading Manual" very good book for cheap and is also a good load data book.
Ive read the ABC's of reloading twice so far. Its a great book for begining with reloading. Looking more for actual loading manuals that i should get. Ive been looking at the hornady book just havent bought it yet.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22284 Times on 12466 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Ive read the ABC's of reloading twice so far. Its a great book for begining with reloading. Looking more for actual loading manuals that i should get. Ive been looking at the hornady book just havent bought it yet.
i have the Speer book, the Lee's Modern Reloading book and Nosler's book. all of these are good. the Hornady is another one i plan on getting.

i think that many and different manuals are good as some have data that others don't have. Hornady usually carries most of their newer chamberings as well.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #25

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #26

Ive watched a few videos on youtube. But theres nothing like a good read if its something i enjoy reading about.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #27

Liked 587 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 821

A good scale and learning how to use it is top of the list. Some of the newer digital models are very good but a few cheap imports are crap and downright dangerous.
More than one reloading manual is my second choice. Loads that are consistant across two or more sources tend to be more reliable. Also start out 10 percent light on your loads and work up. Its much cheaper than the gunsmith bill

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #28

Right now the only scale i have is the balance beam RCBS scake that came with the kit. I will be getting a better one as time goes on. But its gonna have to do for now.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Right now the only scale i have is the balance beam RCBS scake that came with the kit. I will be getting a better one as time goes on. But its gonna have to do for now.
What you have is known as a balance or beam balance.
Old school scales use a spring.
New schoold scales use load cells.

Use either a balance or a load cell, stay away from spring style scales.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 11-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Go to brian enos web page. He sells a electric scale that is expensive, but has a lifetime warranty. Its about the same price as a dillon, but dillon only carries a 1 year warranty on theirs.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_hp.html#warranty
Edit to add this.

Last edited by TheAlmightyBob; 11-03-2012 at 02:44 AM.