Reloading Newbie
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Reloading Newbie

Hello all and thanks for any advice in advance.

I am interested in getting into reloading my own ammunition and have a few questions. I am looking to reload 9mm, 5.56/223, and 7.62x39r.

First off I assume this is a cheaper option for shooting and stocking up on ammo but i have not been able to find any cheap options for bullets. Most cases of 100 in 7.62 and 556 have been around $26 a pop, which doesn't seem cost effective being that i just purchased 1000 rounds of 7.62 for $240 w/shipping. $260 for just bullets not counting rounds, primers, powder, or cost of equipment over time doesn't add up to me. So what am i missing? Is there a website i haven't found? or maybe a bullet type?

secondly the whole process seems pretty straightforward if not down right easy as long as its done carefully. is this the general consensus?

Lastly, I found a cheap kit on amazon that seems to have most of everything needed to get started for $298 its a RCBS Rock Chuckler Supreme Master Reloading Kit. It has good reviews on amazon. Is this a good kit or crap?

Thanks Again and sorry for all of the questions.....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpittm2 View Post
Hello all and thanks for any advice in advance.

I am interested in getting into reloading my own ammunition and have a few questions. I am looking to reload 9mm, 5.56/223, and 7.62x39r.

First off I assume this is a cheaper option for shooting and stocking up on ammo but i have not been able to find any cheap options for bullets. Most cases of 100 in 7.62 and 556 have been around $26 a pop, which doesn't seem cost effective being that i just purchased 1000 rounds of 7.62 for $240 w/shipping. $260 for just bullets not counting rounds, primers, powder, or cost of equipment over time doesn't add up to me. So what am i missing? Is there a website i haven't found? or maybe a bullet type?

secondly the whole process seems pretty straightforward if not down right easy as long as its done carefully. is this the general consensus?

Lastly, I found a cheap kit on amazon that seems to have most of everything needed to get started for $298 its a RCBS Rock Chuckler Supreme Master Reloading Kit. It has good reviews on amazon. Is this a good kit or crap?

Thanks Again and sorry for all of the questions.....
welcome to the forum. all the calibers listed are some of the cheapest to buy factory loaded. many people don't even reload them because of that. many do though. and many who do reload these cartridges, use a progressive press to do it much more rapidly. a quality progressive press is going to be somewhat more expensive than a quality single stage press.

now what is your experiance at reloading? if very little or none, do yourself a favor and buy the book, The ABC's Of Reloading. very informative book that will answer lots of your questions about reloading. read it, then reread it several times. reloading isn't rocket science, but needs to be followed in certain steps to be done correctly and safely. reloading if done properly is very safe and rewarding, but if not done so, can have bad or even fatal results.

many people who do reload these cartridges, buy most of their components in bulk, because of the amount of cartridges they tend to shoot.

the RCBS equipment is some of the best there is. that's a good price for that kit. it would make a fine starting point for you to begin reloading.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #3

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #4

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

There is no comparison between the spam can ammo and the stuff I load for my Mosin. When I use the surplus stuff it will often lock up the bolt. That is a common problem with the Mosin Nagant. But my handloads cycle as good as any new rifle with top notch ammo. My handloads are much more accurate too. My AR loads are able to shoot groups with all the holes touching each other at 100 yards. From what I understand that is not the case with bargain factory ammo. My AR has never had a factory load in it.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #5

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Coyotenator Likes This 
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
Be careful when you become a reloader. There is a degenerative disease that comes along with being a reloader. Soon you will be seen at the shooting ranges walking around with a bent back, hunched over and looking like you just lost your contacts. Sometimes you will do more of this than actually shooting. This disease is also know as 'Old man', or 'old woman' syndrome. Welcome to the world of reloading, and where did that last brass go to!
you forgot the other disease of reloading. buying dies you don't even have a firearm for, then having to buy that firearm to justify buying the dies. vicious circle if you ask me!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

And then you start picking up brass in calibers you dont own because some day you "may" own that caliber and you'll be way ahead for having it.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #8

Liked 282 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlmightyBob
And then you start picking up brass in calibers you dont own because some day you "may" own that caliber and you'll be way ahead for having it.
Ive started doing that also. Just got my press a few weeks ago but havent opened the box other than to get the reloading manual out and read it. And read the ABC's of reloading a couple times. But im starting out with .38/357 but ive found myself picking up .45 casings when im at the range because i know sooner than later i will have a .45, its wierd how i look at brass now. Looks a lot like money. Ive been keeping my casings to my revolvers for about a year and have a bunch. But my 9mm i never picked them up but now i wished i would have..

Old 10-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for all of the advice! i think i'm going to jump in. I'm going to get the ABCs of reloading and get to reading that asap and start working on getting my equipment together.

to AsSeenOnTV i have no idea about the difference of the two primers u mentioned please enlighten me.

also i found some great prices on brass and bullets athttp://www.evergladesammo.com/brass.html

Would any care to put together a list of general things I'll need to get started that might not be obvious to a beginer?

thanks again

Old 10-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Google/ youtube are your friends.