Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Reloading Newbie (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-newbie-66294/)

Kamarathin 06-12-2012 03:22 PM

Reloading Newbie

Hello all,

I grew up with my dad reloading his shotgun shells, but I never had a chance to do much more than watch at the time. Now I'm looking at setting up a reloading bench and doing my own reloading for .38 spcl and .45 acp.

I am looking for any and all advice, recommendations and suggestions for all aspects of the process.

Thank you in advance.

mountainman13 06-12-2012 03:31 PM

Need more info. Are you looking for advice on what to buy (press etc.) or how to reload?

Kamarathin 06-12-2012 03:37 PM

Yes, to both. From beginning to end of the entire process.

Starting with what to buy and then how to go about installing the press and any accessories and then the recommended usage of them.

mountainman13 06-12-2012 03:39 PM

How much are you looking to spend on the press? I would suggest lee if you have a budget and rcbs if you can afford it.

Kamarathin 06-12-2012 03:45 PM

Definitely on a budget, what kind of $ are we looking at?

mountainman13 06-12-2012 03:50 PM

That depends. Are you looking for a progressive press or single stage or something really cheap just to get by with?

Kamarathin 06-12-2012 04:00 PM

Progressive. Definitely.

I don't mind paying for quality. I hate having cheap gear, regardless of what it is. But I am on a budget...or actually, I will be on a budget once I work one up. :)

mountainman13 06-12-2012 04:06 PM

I would recommend a lee progressive press. They are relatively cheap and well made. Go on YouTube and you should be able to find some videos on it.

ktmboyz 06-12-2012 04:29 PM

First off you want to get a book like the ABC's of reloading and read it cover to cover, then read it again. Then research some more on presses, dies and accesories ect.

A lot of people bash lee but thats what I started with and have no regrets at all. There stuff might not be as rugged as some of the others, but like Richard Lee states in his reloading book, they don't overbuild things. They use enough materials to get the job done and hold up to the stresses of reloading. They were not building a press to put rivets in truck frames.

The thread in the top of the reloading section by Capt tango is a great read on picking a press and some of the differences between them.

Then come back here and fire away with the questions, there as a ton of members on here with years of relaoding experience and were a huge help to me when I was getting started a few years ago.

One word of caution though its addicting :) and Dont go into it thinking you will save money, sure it helps to justify it but the money you save you will probably be spending on more reloading stuff and components. On a brighter note though you will always have ammo and better quality than you can buy. Good luck

Kamarathin 06-12-2012 04:37 PM

There seem to be a few books with the same name. Is there a particular one of these you recommend?