Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading my 45 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Default Reloading my 45 ammo

Some one mentioned to me I should reload my ammo because I shoot so much and would like to start is this something I can just pick up and what all do I need to by i am a master automotive tech by trade so I assume with a little instruction I can do it any advice

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

FIRST AND FORMOST buy a good loading maual like the Lyman or the ABC's of reloading. That will give you insight into what you will nee and how it will be done.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-01-2012, 04:37 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19475 Times on 11063 Posts
Likes Given: 49082

^^^^^^100%. read and reread the book several times and adhere to all the safety precautions. they are there for good reason. reloading can be a safe and rewarding addition to your shooting if done safely, but can have very bad results if not done properly. i also suggest the same book as Robo suggested, and can usually be found at Amazon.com for less than $15.00. excellent book and good information within it's pages.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #4

Liked 175 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 49

As stated, get a number of reloading manuals. One thing to beware of is that the loading info is not consistent among the manuals and it can change over time, so load to the low end of the specs. And take a look at Youtube; they have some really well done videos. There is a ten-part series about the Dillon RL550 press that is pretty good. I recently started reloading for my 1911 and found that the FMJ rounds worked just fine, but I have some issues with hardcast lead bullets. So, start with FMJ I think.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #5

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

If you are the kind of guy that undertsands how to read a micrometer like used for turning rotors and stuff like that it will be a piece of cake for you. But you still need to buy a book. You wouldn't tear down an engine without having the proper specs, right? You should buy a book. And read it. Pay close attention to powder specs, bullet weights, stuff like that. But dont just ignore the little stuff either.

How much do you shoot? How many different calibers? Think about that before you buy equipment.

I shoot a bunch of different calibers. Probably about 20. I use a dedicated progressive for my .45 ACP. I have a single stage for the other stuff.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #6

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Great advice everyone going to by several Manuel's today thanks for all the help.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 07-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5173

Don't be intimidated by reloading, nor feel that you can just slide your way into it.
It is a process, it has many interesting quirks that are similar to those that you may find in Automotive Mechanics, but unique in it's form or substance to the process of reloading. (e.g. loose primer pocket, double charge)

Things can go horribly wrong, but these are usually related to process and the quality of executing the process. Things can also go very well, with a minumum of materials used to produce quality reloads.

In years past, I reloaded extensivily, then took a break, then resumed recently. I was reminded of the need to establish and follow my processes. A simple double check of the scale increments would have saved me a scare. My process of loading only two cartridges for test fire saved me a box of overcharged reloads.

As the others noted, read a manual or several. YouTube movies may also be helpful.
But when it comes down to it, make sure you understand the step, why that step is important, what the consequences are of not executing the step flawlessly and how that step fits in with the others.

As a Master Mechanic, you certainly have the manual skills, most likely the mental skills
Experience, of course comes only with .. uh .. experience, but you can really get a leg up by making it an full imersion hobby. Read, Read, Read ....

Last edited by KG7IL; 07-01-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: correcting that typo that is only found after posting :)

Old 07-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5074 Times on 2886 Posts
Likes Given: 4237

Buy a manual or two first. Read them a couple of times. Then have at it!

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:11 PM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Check out the NRA Reloading Clinics in your area. This is the best way to start reloading.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #10

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Its just like findin a small block with 4 bolt mains,,,you gonna put it back in the pickup stock, or are you going to tweak with it. Speed costs, how fast do you want to go?

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.