Reloading Literature
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading Literature

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 04:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Reloading Literature

Haven't done any reloading but am planning on getting into it later this year. Just ordered Lyman's Reloading Manual and ABC's of Reloading from Amazon. Any other books that would be of some help?

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2009, 06:37 AM   #2

Hornady, Lee, Nosler and Sierra all have excellent books. Check the websites of the powder manufacturers, too. You can't have too many books.
Tom

Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2773 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Those two are an excellent start. The Cast Bullet Handbook is a nice addition to your growing book collection

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I'll look into those as well.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 07-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #5

Default The Accurate Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
Haven't done any reloading but am planning on getting into it later this year. Just ordered Lyman's Reloading Manual and ABC's of Reloading from Amazon. Any other books that would be of some help?

-Fred
Should the accuracy bug really get it's teeth into you and you're ultimate goal becomes putting 10 rounds through one slightly egg shaped hole, I think you'll find the "Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page to be some very entertaining as well as extremely useful reading.

Not too technical that the new shooter will be overwhelmed, but technical enough that almost all shooters should find beneficial.

F. Prefect

Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Good start.

Great start FCross7 on your books. I like several on FTF am almost into my fourth decade of hand loading, and have many manuals-old+new. In the last few years I have not bought new handbooks. I do use powder Co. web sites for the latest up-to-date specs. You did not state how many cals. that you will be loading, but for me lately, I have bought the "One Book/One Caliber manuals, for the individual loads. They are available on line (even e-bay) for $6.00-$8.00. If you are ONLY looking for the specs., they have the MOST info., for THAT particular cal. I have bought the One Book/One Caliber in: 9MM,.357Mag,.45acp.,+6MM Remington. Your Lyman Manual and ABC's of reloading will cover most, if not all, of the theory, and tips on hand loading, and to buy from each bullet mfg. and powder mfg. would be, IMO, just duplication. The MOST IMPORTANT thing for you to read, remember, and practice, in the hand loading hobby is SAFETY!! Observe all the safety prompts in the two handbooks that you have ordered and make those habits, and second nature, in all your loading processes. Safety will NEVER let you down==carelessness WILL.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fprefect View Post
Should the accuracy bug really get it's teeth into you and you're ultimate goal becomes putting 10 rounds through one slightly egg shaped hole, I think you'll find the "Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page to be some very entertaining as well as extremely useful reading.

F. Prefect
Thanks prefect, I'll give that one a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
Great start FCross7 on your books. I like several on FTF am almost into my fourth decade of hand loading, and have many manuals-old+new. In the last few years I have not bought new handbooks. I do use powder Co. web sites for the latest up-to-date specs. You did not state how many cals. that you will be loading, but for me lately, I have bought the "One Book/One Caliber manuals, for the individual loads. They are available on line (even e-bay) for $6.00-$8.00. If you are ONLY looking for the specs., they have the MOST info., for THAT particular cal. I have bought the One Book/One Caliber in: 9MM,.357Mag,.45acp.,+6MM Remington. Your Lyman Manual and ABC's of reloading will cover most, if not all, of the theory, and tips on hand loading, and to buy from each bullet mfg. and powder mfg. would be, IMO, just duplication. The MOST IMPORTANT thing for you to read, remember, and practice, in the hand loading hobby is SAFETY!! Observe all the safety prompts in the two handbooks that you have ordered and make those habits, and second nature, in all your loading processes. Safety will NEVER let you down==carelessness WILL.
For the time being I'm looking into hand-loading .223 and .308 and when I get a pistol I'll probably do whatever caliber it is as well. But it's gonna be probably at least 6 months before I start buying any of the equipment. For the time being I just wanna get all the basics and the theory down, then I'll start ordering some of the caliber specific books. I am however probably going to start collecting my brass when I go to the range, that way I'll have plenty of fire formed brass when I do start. Thanks for the info guys.

-Fred

-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 07-31-2009, 02:15 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

For accurate load specs check out the "MDSmith" website. He's been posting online load data for decades.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"