Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Reloading insight... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-insight-32669/)

CourtJester 10-05-2010 05:15 PM

Reloading insight...

Iím in the market for a reloader for 12 ga trap shooting. Iím looking at a Mec Jr. No real requirement for a progressive of a hydrolic set up or anything like that. Just loading clay busters.

#1. Are these good?

#2. Is there any place where supporting members get discounts?

Iím just now beginning to get into reloading also so any other info would be super-duper

hunter Joe 10-05-2010 05:47 PM

I've reloaded thousands of rounds on a Mec Jr I bought used. Nice tight crimp and as good as any factory ammo I have ever used.

robocop10mm 10-06-2010 05:34 PM

The MEC 600 Jr is a very good press. I bought mine used about 10 years ago and have loaded many thousands of shells with it.

Innovative 10-13-2010 08:32 PM

MEC Reloading Press

courtjester .....

I have a good used MEC 700 with an adjustable charge bar and dies for 12 and 20 gauge. It's one of the older (much better) presses that has all steel parts not plastic. I'll sell it for $110. plus $10. shipping.

However, I recommend spending a few extra bucks and getting a MEC Model 76 Grabber press. If you ever try one, you'll see why I like it so much. This press is not for sale. It's 20 times faster, very simple and easy to use.

You can read about the MEC press on my website. MEC Grabber Press

P.S. . . . . I don't work for MEC.

spittinfire 10-14-2010 12:29 AM

I picked up a 600 JR on ebay and I've loaded many shells with mine. I've also got a lee load all for my 16ga and I've been very happy with it. Not as study as the mec but a good piece for the occasional shotshell loader.

CourtJester 10-14-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innovative (Post 367842)
courtjester .....

I have a good used MEC 700 with an adjustable charge bar and dies for 12 and 20 gauge. It's one of the older (much better) presses that has all steel parts not plastic. I'll sell it for $110. plus $10. shipping.

However, I recommend spending a few extra bucks and getting a MEC Model 76 Grabber press. If you ever try one, you'll see why I like it so much. This press is not for sale. It's 20 times faster, very simple and easy to use.

You can read about the MEC press on my website. MEC Grabber Press

P.S. . . . . I don't work for MEC.

Outstanding. It would be a huge plus to be able to do 12 and 20 gauges. I like the 12 gauge but I have a 10 year old shooting trap with a 20 gauge and a 7 year old that is sure to follow in the next few years. What's the difference between the 76 Grabber and the 700? I don't mind a few extra minutes in loading. I'm easy. Besides, I'll figure it out and train my son to do it. If there's not a HUGE difference then I'll likely buy that from you.

Innovative 10-14-2010 12:06 PM

courtjester .........

From 10 feet away both presses look similar. The difference is the MEC 700 requires you to manually move each shell to a different position, insert the shell, insert the wad, tap the charge bar and crank the handle 5 times while moving the shell to each station. It sounds pretty quick and easy. If you never get to see a MEC Model 76 Grabber press, you'll think the MEC 700 is great.

However, the MEC 76 finishes one round with each pull of the handle. That's a much bigger advantage than it sounds, because it will load 4 or 5 boxes of shells in less time than you can make one box with the MEC 700. The quality of the loads is excellent with both machines.

CourtJester 10-18-2010 03:01 AM

I just got a 76 Grabber in good shape with some extras from e-bay (we'll see how it is when it gets here) and just learned that my wife is pissed off and has to go back to the store to return the Mec Jr. she got me for Christmas.
WIN/WIN.... I got what I want and all I have to do now is hint on something else I want. Can't beat that.

Shade 10-18-2010 01:22 PM

I have several Juniors, .410 ga, 20 ga. and 12 ga. I also have a MEC 9000,
(12 ga.) ponying up $600 plus bones for a 9000 is tough but when my buddy
Mike and I are working together we can get 1000+ rounds an hour out of that 9000. The only thing that slows us down is stopping every 200 round
to refill the primer tray, shot and powder. I have helped friends with other
brands of shotshell reloading equipment every time I am glad I have a
MEC. Plus they are made in Mayville, WI. I have been a supplier in the
past to them, they run a Class show up there.