Reloading...How much to be worth it? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading...How much to be worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
$1,500? Did I say that? If I did, I apologize. I would think about $500 would get you well on your way, Chris.
Nope, JonM said $1500 as a top figure for a top shelf setup. It just made my eyes cross. I'm so glad that it can be done for much less!!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #12

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
If you want to know how much you might save, use this handy cost load calculator.

Handloading Cost Calculator
Oh, that's COOL!

Old 12-24-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
If you want to know how much you might save, use this handy cost load calculator.

Handloading Cost Calculator
I've been doing the hard way for years....adding it up myself. That one is definately being added to the favorites.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-24-2010, 01:52 AM   #14

Liked 315 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

You should be reloading for savings somewhat and not so much a SHTF scenereo. I reload for accuracy for long distance shooting and the savings are nill due to the cost of more spendy componets. I say reload and shoot the snot out of your firearms and wear them out and always be near out of ammo. Don't worry so much about an unrealistic SHTF scenero. Lifes too short.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by mrm14; 12-24-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #15

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

mrm, I think the S is going to HTF faster where you live than some other places around the country. I'd rather be ready and not need to be, than need to be and not ready.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #16

Liked 315 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
mrm, I think the S is going to HTF faster where you live than some other places around the country. I'd rather be ready and not need to be, than need to be and not ready.
O.K. So what are you going to do when this SHTF happens? Are you going to stay put and fend off hoards of intruders within a few weeks after anarchey rules and the rule of land at that time are other humans trying to take your shat? Are you going to go to the hills to make your stand? Are you going to go nomadic and become a hunter/gatherer?

Stay too long within range of a city and the hoards will eventually kill you and take your shat no matter how many guns and how much ammo you have. Just try to go to the hills and the long time locals up there will send you to Saint Peter from long distance before you can say hello. Going nomadic, unless your extremely familiar with that kind of life, will kill you slow.

Until a couple of years ago I never had herd the term of SHTF. I have thought of natural disasters including social break down and severe civel unrest over the years and what I would do or not do. I have places I can within reason safely go if needed weather it be somewhere else here in the flat lands or the hills and I have and do for many years now treck the PCT and CD and know how to travel fairly quick and light by foot in relative comfort. Firearms as well any items with bulk and weight are not in any plan I may have to formulate given such a SHTF situation arises and I end up traveling. Not to say that a firearm and some ammo would not be in the equation of the remote chance such a thing as SHTF happens.

Last edited by mrm14; 12-24-2010 at 04:04 AM.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I never really concidered being able to reload my own ammo as a SHTF type of project. If components get tight(like a year ago) the only ones who could continue to roll their own were the ones who had a decent stock. I personally never ran out of anything but my supplies did get lower then I would like and as I tried to move into a couple of new calibers finding some things, mainly primers, was an issue. Magnum primers were even tough to find for a while.

Being able to load your own can help you if the economy gets worse or inflation gets out of control because (again if you have some stock) you can continue to shoot, protect yourself, and hunt to feed yourself if needed. If the SHTF, you aren't going to be packing your press with you when/if you bug out and you aren't going to pack thousands of rounds out on foot.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Reloading

Reloading isn't something you want to start learning when the SHTF. I suggest you get a Dillon Square Deal in .45acp. Then all you need is basic items like reloading manual, scales, tumbler and media, deburring tool, powder and primers ect. You don't even need the tumbler to start with. You can be reloading using your old brass for less the $600. Then as you learn the process of reloading you can add a second press in the progressive type for another $400 to $500 for when the it really hits it. Oh, you'll need to add a trimming tool too at some point. Point is...you don't have to get everything all at once. The ability to reload can be had for around $600(high estimate) and that would be a darn good set-up for one caliber. I suggest you not wait for SHTF. It's much easier to learn the process with a straight wall caliber as well.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #19

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry5081 View Post
It's much easier to learn the process with a straight wall caliber as well.
Why is that?

Old 12-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Why

Well I found it easier to set-up the dies but I didn't have a Square Deal. With the dies already being set-up it wouldn't be. Sorry bout that.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider