Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Reloading equipment YOU Made.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Default Reloading equipment YOU Made.

I don't know about any of you but I stand to reload. The problem has always been the scale. I had to constantly bend and stoop over to see it and have it eye level. After about 10 rounds my back was hurting so bad I would have to stop. So I made this Tango's Scale perch. It looks a little rough because A. Tango ain't no dam wood worker like Norm Abram. B. I used what I had on hand.

You need the following.
2 1x3x18" for legs
1 1/2x6x16 for top (can use 1x6)
2 1x6x3" for feet
1 1x6x14.5" for inside stabilizer
2 3.5x3.5" triangles
18 2" screws or 16 nails and 2 2" screws.

img_1170.jpg

img_1171.jpg

img_1172.jpg

img_1173.jpg

img_1174.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #2

Here are some more pictures.
img_1174.jpg

img_1175.jpg

img_1176.jpg

Old 11-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got tired of buying those expensive Dillon tool holder stands. So when I was putting together my new reloading bench, I decided to fix the problem of having to buy more Dillon Tool holder stands.

I had some Red Oak 1x3 laying around from another project, Made two tool holder bases. The holders are made from 1" cold roll steel. Just cleaned up the OD, turned the first step for 650 tool heads (.750" dia) and then turned the ends @ .550" for 550 tool heads. I drilled and taped the end of each holder 1/4x20 and then just bolted them to the red oak planks. I think Dillon charges $18 each, so I figure I saved at least $125.

PS I mounted the stands on standard drawer slides so that I can pull them out. They were the most expensive part of this project.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #4

That is sweet man. Now that is thinking right there.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

"The problem has always been the scale. I had to constantly bend and stoop over to see it and have it eye level."

Tango, you done good. And right.

I've long chuckled at those who say, "Git a digital, beams are too slow and too hard to read!" When they say that, I just KNOW they have placed their beam scale on the bench top and probably have their measure sitting on a press. That's not quite as bad as placing them under the bench top but it's close! Of coarse, most magazine photos do show scales sitting on the bench top but that's for ease of taking photos, not for ease of use.

I've had my scale at nose level, well above the top since my 2nd bench... love it! (I'm using a third generation bench now, have since '72.)

Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
"The problem has always been the scale. I had to constantly bend and stoop over to see it and have it eye level."

Tango, you done good. And right.

I've long chuckled at those who say, "Git a digital, beams are too slow and too hard to read!" When they say that, I just KNOW they have placed their beam scale on the bench top and probably have their measure sitting on a press. That's not quite as bad as placing them under the bench top but it's close! Of coarse, most magazine photos do show scales sitting on the bench top but that's for ease of taking photos, not for ease of use.

I've had my scale at nose level, well above the top since my 2nd bench... love it! (I'm using a third generation bench now, have since '72.)
I am on Gen 3 now myself. First was an old military office desk. It was ok but I always lost the use of a drawer when mounting my press.

Gen 2 was a 4 foot long on I built out of a kit from home depot.

Gen 3 was teh 4 foot made into a six foot replacement.

I need a strong mount for my RCBS press.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I've made a lot of small reloading tools but the one that is my "prize" project was a press modification. My first press was a Lyman turret, the Spar-T model. It had a simple toggle lever. It was more difficult to work the lever than I liked so I converted it to a compound toggle type! MUCH improved operation now.

The nicest tool I made is a really stable powder trickler, about 2 1/2#. The base is a lathe turned 2" cast iron pipe cap and a section of 1" brass drain pipe for the powder silo, the parts below the feed tube are filled with lead. The feed tube is a 1/4" diameter section of auto radio antenna with an electronic knob on one end. The whole thing is really stable, really smooth spinning too.

And then there are the two RCBS type stuck case removers.

And the two Stoney Point type OAL tools and modified cases. I made the case holders from 1/4" stainless steel tubing threaded 1/4x28 so I don't need any hard to find tap for my "modified" cases.

And the Sinclair type "max chamber length" gauging plugs.

The brass headed, fiberglass handled bullet mold sprue plate hammer.

Three sets of case forming dies to make .243, .22-250 and 6 mm International from .30-06 cases.

Gettiing an old South Bend 9" metal lathe (finally!) and a small MIG welder (finally!) has really expanded my basic home shop flexibility for making uncommon custom tools for reloading and a lot of other things too!

Last edited by 1hole; 11-03-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #8

1hole we need pics man pics and lots of them.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

".. we need pics man.."

I know, and your's are excellant.

So...I got the computer. I got the camera. I got a printer and photo paper. I just ain't got the mind for it!

Too old to deal with stuff I'm no longer interested in...so I get my photos done by WalMart.

If I'd had any idea I was gonna live this long I'da taken much better care of myself. Too late now!! Pray for me?

Last edited by 1hole; 11-03-2009 at 04:53 PM.